X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Raalte Meet Cancelled

Dear All, this message was sent to members today, 24 March 2020:

"To: All AMCA Europe members,

I am sorry to announce that our Raalte Meet planned for late May has been cancelled. Our Dutch Directors advise that no meeting of more than two people is allowed in the Netherlands, and all the hotels are closed as precautions against the spread of the Covid-19 virus. I was hoping after a short period we would get some relief, but all UK schools and pubs have just been closed by the Government and McDonalds restaurants have closed even for takeaways, so we know it is serious. Germany has similar restrictions, and I now cannot enter France without a very good reason and official form filling. The essence of our Meet is to get members and their bikes together from different countries, and this is not something we can do online. The safety of our members is our first priority, so pressing ahead with a sizeable physical meeting against government and medical advice is just not possible, sorry.

If any of you are booked into the on-site hotel, you need to cancel before 01 April to get a refund. If any members have spent money on a vendor spot or on pre-registering a bike for judging, we shall give a refund or a credit for next time.

We have managed a couple of earlier shows this year, and I shall continue with our Email newsletters over the next few months. In the meantime, keep having fun with old motorcycles and stay safe until we meet again.

Steve Slocombe, President AMCA European Chapter."

PS. As this message went out today, the Dutch Government banned all public meetings until at least June.

Bad news for the European Chapter, Steve. I know you work hard to keep that chapter active, and I know many people who greatly appreciate your devoted efforts. I hope you, and the Euro members can re-schedule that meet for a better time in 2020.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I would like to echo those thoughts of Eric...It is well known you and your volunteers put on an awesome National Meet at a terrific setting.These are tough times for many. Many are health challenged and some, even in my own family, livelihoods are on the line...We know the decision is not an easy one and we appreciate all you and your volunteers do. Here's hoping we all remain healthy and get to play with old motorcycles, no matter what country we live in. Say hello to Pete Reeves , as he did an awesome job judging at the Sunshine Meet.I kept my mouth shut and learned so much about knuckleheads.. Having said the word knucklehead to you Steve, you should note I rode and owned a 1936 VL for 31 straight years...
      Last edited by Ross; 03-25-2020, 03:53 AM.
      Ross

Comment

Dear Ross, I'm an all makes and models kind of guy, so have judged with the knucklehead teams and also received an education from the Indian, British, German and Japanese bike judges. There is an awesome level of knowledge in our great Club. And thanks for the nice words Eric, I really didn't want to cancel our Meet but finally we had no choice. There is a possible slot in late September, but who knows if Europe will be back to normal by then and, if so, it would clash with the massive Mannheim show in Germany. Better to get back to the basement and work on those project bikes for next time rather than hold out false hope. It's serious out there guys so stay safe, and maybe the roads will be quieter for us hand shift riders...

Comment

Steve and all Euro members. Sorry to hear that your meet is off for this year. Though, I have never been to the European National, I do receive some vicarious pleasure from the yearly article in The Antique Motorcycle.
          Here in the US the rules change daily, no one in the G-ment seems to have a firm grip on the real severity of the current pandemic. My guess is that we will lose at least two to four of the next meets on the AMCA National schedule. (My guess only) Local chapters are cancelling regular meetings and shows. Things are getting nuts.
          Best wished, Fred
          Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

Working...
          X