Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Pan engine mounting problem

Hi Guys

On reinstalling there is no clearance between the rear head and the frame, which I hadn't noticed when removing the engine. I believe this should be 3/16" to 1/4"? Is there a best practice for this? If not, I would be tempted to reduce the height of the forward mounts, and/or install shims at the rear?

Thanks

Greg

IMG_3397.JPG IMG_3399.JPG IMG_3400.JPG IMG_3398.JPG

Greg; It looks like you have the thick rocker arm cover gasket installed. I would use the thin ones which would solve your clearance problem.CIMG1727.JPGCIMG1728.JPGCIMG1730.JPG
    Craig

Comment

Hi Craig

Not that simple, I'm afraid, It's the head that is also against the frame, It appears I can cure this with 1/8" shim between the rear engine support and engine. Whilst ideally I'd fabricate a full length bracket, could I get away with a couple of 1/8" washers???

Thanks

Greg

Comment

If the motor sits flat between the front and rear mounts you can't just add to one without making the other uneven. I think washers are not a good approach. If things are already painted and finished you are kinda locked in with where you are at. I have removed some of the head in this area to help with the problem. Using a dremel, radius the head to clear the down tube, if that is the problem.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I hate stupid cell phone pictures not oriented correctly. Therefor I have zero opinion on a fix....
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for all your comments - problem sorted

Comment

Hopefully you will share your fix or what caused the problem.
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Usually this type of problem is reserved for Knucklhead frames. If you mounts are all in good condition on both engine and frame it means your frame has settled at the seat post which is fairly common on frames with a rougher life. I just put them in my fixture and shove the top of the frame back until it holds and engine fits. Just did this to a Knucklehead frame last week.

Jerry

Originally posted by harleygreg View Post
                Hi Guys

On reinstalling there is no clearance between the rear head and the frame, which I hadn't noticed when removing the engine. I believe this should be 3/16" to 1/4"? Is there a best practice for this? If not, I would be tempted to reduce the height of the forward mounts, and/or install shims at the rear?

Thanks

Greg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27684[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27686[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27688[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27685[/ATTACH]

Comment

Jerry, Do you have a photo of this process?

Comment

Remove the paint from the motor mount surfaces.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                      I hate stupid cell phone pictures not oriented correctly. Therefor I have zero opinion on a fix....
                      Try right click and "open in new tab". When I do that they are oriented correctly.

Comment

I will look and see. I have photographed it but not recently.

Originally posted by larry View Post
                        Jerry, Do you have a photo of this process?

Comment

Thank you much.

Comment

Originally posted by gitguy View Post
                            Try right click and "open in new tab". When I do that they are oriented correctly.
                            Thanks for the tip gitguy! The sideway pictures is why I thought that the issue was the backbone clearance.
                            Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X