Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Panhead Cam Shifter position?

Hi Guys

On rebuilding the transmission cover, I followed the service instructions to align the shifter gear and gear shifter cam, by aligning a small cut between the teeth on the shifter gear and a small chamfer on one of the teeth of the gear shifter cam, and aligning the gear shifter lever to be in line with the small cut on the shifter gear.

This resulted in the gear shifter lever being in the wrong position. By revolving the lever I have set first gear with the lever positioned as shown which looks correct for the angle of the shifter rod.

Is this correct or is there a more 'clinical' way of doing this?

Thanks

GregIMG_3371 - gear lever.JPG

Originally posted by harleygreg View Post
    Hi Guys

On rebuilding the transmission cover, I followed the service instructions to align the shifter gear and gear shifter cam, by aligning a small cut between the teeth on the shifter gear and a small chamfer on one of the teeth of the gear shifter cam, and aligning the gear shifter lever to be in line with the small cut on the shifter gear.

This resulted in the gear shifter lever being in the wrong position. By revolving the lever I have set first gear with the lever positioned as shown which looks correct for the angle of the shifter rod.

Is this correct or is there a more 'clinical' way of doing this?

Thanks

Greg[ATTACH=CONFIG]27608[/ATTACH]
    Greg If the transmission is in neutral with lever as shown it looks like you installed the lever off kilter by 90 degrees or one flat on the shaft. Jerry

Comment

Hi Jerry, thanks for the response. The image shows it in first gear, but I think you mean the lever should point to 5 o'clock when in neutral?

Thanks

Greg

Comment

Hi Jerry, all sorted now, thanks

Comment

Working...
        X