Swap meet concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoschZEV View Post
    Optimism shouldn't ever blind one to reality. Today the U.S. passed China in the number of confirmed cases, despite China having 4¼x the population, and despite it being impossible for most people in the U.S. even to be tested yet. The number of new confirmed cases in the U.S. continues to double every two days. Every day additional hospitals report they've exceeded their capacity, have displaced other patients, are converting other wards for Covid cases, and a seeing patients die because they have a severe shortage of ventilators. It's an understatement to say the data don't look good for that meet at the end of June.
    But, But, I heard the government say it will all be over by Easter and we can gather eggs and eat Ham!!??
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

What I see we have here is what occurs every single year. It is called the flu but this one is on steroids. It will pass on its own and return next time around as the flu does. Look for it again in the fall. Food for thought folks....

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
        But, But, I heard the government say it will all be over by Easter ...
        Technically speaking, it was the President who said that. In the past three weeks he also said everyone who wants a test can get one, nobody thought it would be a problem, we have tremendous control of it, our numbers are lower than just about everybody, we're the most prepared country in the world, he has a hunch the death rate will be low, people should go to work even if they're feeling sick, etc. etc. Meanwhile, the numbers keep rising exponentially[*]

[*] Note, new cases are rising as a true exponential function, i.e. a straight line on a semi-logarithmic plot, with a doubling time of roughly two days. Until there is Presidential action to order the rapid increase in production of respirators, N95 masks and other protective gear, and testing kits, things aren't going to start getting any better until long after the Easter bunny has come and gone.

Comment

Even though I said I was done commenting I can't help one more time.
          Through all of this I have observed a few different things about people both here and in my own personal life.
          Number one is there are very very thin lines drawn between optimism, dillusion and reality in a lot of people.
          Number 2 is that there are a lot of people who cannot see the forest because there are too many trees in the way.
          I still see family members who still jump into the car and head to the local Dunkin Donuts to get a stupid coffee.
          Touch the door handle that 200 other people just touched, walk in the door and smile when the girl at the
          counter hands you the change from your $20 bill that just came from god knows who that morning. Sad time for everyone. 46

Comment

OLEY CANCELLED!!!
            I just got off the phone with Barry Algeo, President of the Perkiomen Chapter and they have decided to cancel this years event. All vendor fees will be moved towards payment for next years meet. The AMCA has been in regular communication with Barry since the outbreak of Covid-19 and the AMCA Board fully supports their decision. A factor in this decision was the passing of an AMCA Pennsylvania Chapter President, Tom Real of the Nashaminy Valley Chapter, who passed away Saturday of the Coronavirus. This hits too close to home and is a stark reminder that this is not a situation we should take lightly. Our members are too important to risk their safety by putting them in harms way by being in a large public setting such as Oley. It is highly likely that the State or local authorities would have ban the event anyway, but it was time for this decision to be made prior to time. Barry said the Oley Fairgrounds was supportive in this decision as well. - Keith Kizer, AMCA Executive Director

Comment

Cancelling Oley was not a surprise in my eyes. This virus has not even reached it's peak and who knows how long it will be around before it is safe to gather in large groups. Safety is paramount and I send my condolences to the family of Tom Real.
              Craig (Delaware)
              Delaware Bay Chapter
              Perkiomen Chapter
              AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Another one bites the dust.
                **Walneck's WoodStock,Illinois April 26,2020 Swap Cancelled.
                **Next Walneck Swap--May 17,2020 Monroe, Michigan.

**Think Positive & Be Safe to All.
                fullsizeoutput_9a1.jpg

*M.A.D.*
                Last edited by JoJo357; 04-01-2020, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X