Henderson KJ/KL Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henderson KJ/KL Wanted

Dear All, I have two sons but only one KJ so need another. Not a project bike, but an earlier restoration or runner, preferably with title. I'll be at the AMCA Oley Meet, and any details before that would be appreciated.

Steve,

Sorry but I don't have any leads on a KJ, however, I'm fatherless, would you consider an adoption?

Comment

There were times I would have traded my '30KJ for a moped. The KJ was not Henderson's best effort.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Dear Eric, Ted Hodgdon in Golden Age of the Fours considered the KJ the cream of the crop, why do you think it was lacking? Inlet over exhaust valves seems a backward step compared with the DeLuxes side valves, but they must have learnt from the Super-X and put in big inlet valves. And a five bearing crankshaft was an improvement over the earlier three, and maybe the side draft carb over the updraft one as well. They were also a year ahead of the competition in bringing out drop centre wheel rims in '29, plus that new-fangled front brake for us cautious riders. In 1929 this was probably the first 36 bhp production bike and so the first 100 mph machine. There is a great photo of 30 of them lined up for the California Highway Patrol, and many went for export before the Wall Street Crash. With those cast aluminium tanks popped out from the frame the KJ deserved its name of Streamline and set the look for bikes over the coming decades. It is on a 61 inch wheelbase so rides like my VLs on a 60 inch base. The only difficulty I've had is the gearshift is backwards for first, so reversed compared with the Harleys and Deluxes, but so far so good.

Comment

The inlet head is very weak, and commonly is found with broken mounting ears. I was fortunate to get a NOS inlet head from Toney Watson and that solved many of my top end problems. I was also fortunate to have motor cases that had not been broken as later Hens are notorious for a poor aluminum alloy that is difficult to weld. We are blessed to have someone like Mark Hill, who has spent so much time, and effort to make KJs a better machine than they were in their day. Too late for me since I had my KJ long before there was any appreciable support for them.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

I've heard that some KJs had problems with gearbox internals that weren't properly hardened, or kicker gears that stripped easily. Is this the case? Peter

Comment

Dear Peter, I've just the one bike so can't generalise. My '29 was restored in New England in 1978 according to the message scratched on the sump plate inside the motor, and had obviously done serious mileage since then. The slider gear was thrashed, but that is common with high mileage on a crash box. I replaced all the transmission, and the kicker gear because it was for sale at the same time, but that does not mean the original parts were defective. I've got the used parts in a box of course, and may pull them out and post some pictures.

Comment

The 3 speed Henderson transmission changed very little from it's inception in 1917; but it did get more robust in the right places as it progressed through the K, Deluxe, and KJ series. Modern clutch materials have also been a major benefit to early motorcycle transmissions.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Peter mentioned the starter gears, which Henderson called the starter jaws. Hendersons have a terrible starter assembly which they did improve as time went on, but even the KJ was weak and prone to early failure if the jaws weren't carefully, and fully engaged by a thoughtful rider. Riders that were used to Harleys, Excelsiors, and Indians that had strong, abuse resistant starters could quickly ruin a Henderson starter by windmilling it, and not fully engaging the mating jaws. Once the jaws lost their sharp edges they would slip, and only get worse. I believe the Henderson starter is one of the most ill-conceived, and worst step starters ever put on a motorcycle. I have a 1917, and 1919 Hendersons, and I have made my own starter jaws. The tooth geometry is very difficult to machine, and then you have the deal with heat treat to make them tough, but not brittle. Finally, you have to treat them with sensitivity, like a modern day snowflake
                  Last edited by exeric; 03-16-2020, 04:31 PM.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric, that's the information I was looking for. It's not a problem on my '13 Henderson - I just crank it! And it's a lot easier to start than my JD.

Comment

"like a modern day snowflake." That's funny Eric!
                      DrSprocket

Comment

there were some Henderson repo starter jaws regular on e bay for a while and I was told that they were no good. Had issues with hardness and would strip rapidly. I have had no issues with my Deluxe - but it kicks through very easily and I engage it easily too :-)

Comment

Thanks Eric,Interesting comments. Yes , Mark has performed magic with every four he has worked on. I think you just saved me $100K +. I never really liked the front fork/fender look of the KJ anyway. I think the 38/39 Indian four is the most beautiful of all. unfortunately I am not alone with that thought !

Comment

Dear All, I'm now custodian of the KJ Register with some 150 engine numbers recorded. If you have a KJ, please send me the engine number and the casting date on top of the gearbox and I'll Email you a copy.

Comment

Working...
                            X