1937 ULH low Cylinder Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937 ULH low Cylinder Pressure

Ok guys, here we go again. I went and bought new cylinders from CycleFab, with fitted pistons and valves. I had my head surfaces checked on a friends CNC Mill, they were warped, it took .020" to get them flat. Put her together and it felt like no compression when I kicked her. I put a quality compression gauge and 22 PSI. I squirted a little Corrosion X in and 26 PSI.Double checked the valve clearances and perfect. Now, with milled heads and new cylinders with fitted pistons, my PSI should be up there a little more. Only answer would be a HUGE ring gap, or possibly the cylinder decks didn't get machined enough? She's on the lift begging to get tore down, but I may be missing the obvious????
    Steve

Oh, annealed copper head gaskets.
    Steve

Comment

Throttle wide open for the test?
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yes, wide open
        Steve

Comment

Clutch not slipping?
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Any chance the cam timing is off?
            Tom

Comment

Rings on upside down? Valves seating properly?
              Last edited by HDSmitty; 03-12-2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I'm checking all of that today, Thanks
                Steve

Comment

So I just heard that some of Cyclefabs ULH guides aren't concentric with the seats. Really? Holy Sh*t! I heard this guy was great. Ok, leak down test this weekend! Everything else checks out. Lifter clearances, clutch fully engaged. I took my OEM cylinders off after starting her because it was .060" over and the valve seats were so deep that I had to make special 7/16" wrenches to fit down in the lifter blocks to adjust them.
                  Steve

Comment

I would be careful here as Paul uses Kibbelwhite valves and guides for those. May not be a problem from him but them. He has them made up specifically for him and to his specs. so would think that if there is a problem it would be with all of them. I know several folks who have his cylinders and that was never a problem for them. Might have had other small issue but not that. I have had him do several motors for me over the years and while I can't recommend him right now due to delays in getting work out I would say he has spent more time and money figuring out HD flat head than anyone I know. I am sure if you find he is at fault he will make it right. Good luck!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                    AMCA #12766

Comment

Not to defend anybody, Folks,...

But you can cut a seat 'true' to a 'concentric' guide,
                      Mark it for indexing, press it out,
                      Press it back in indexed,...

And it still won't be perfectly concentric to the seat.

....Cotten
                      PS: Place any guide in question upon a mandrel (such as NEWAY seat cutting pilots), and put it between v-blocks for inspection with a decent indicator.
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-13-2020, 10:57 AM.
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                        I would be careful here as Paul uses Kibbelwhite valves and guides for those. May not be a problem from him but them. He has them made up specifically for him and to his specs. so would think that if there is a problem it would be with all of them. I know several folks who have his cylinders and that was never a problem for them. Might have had other small issue but not that. I have had him do several motors for me over the years and while I can't recommend him right now due to delays in getting work out I would say he has spent more time and money figuring out HD flat head than anyone I know. I am sure if you find he is at fault he will make it right. Good luck!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                        AMCA #12766
                        Thanks Tom, but wouldn't seat to guide concentricity be due to cutting the seats, which falls into CycleFabs lap, not Kibblewhite? Just a question.
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by shinedogg View Post
                          Thanks Tom, but wouldn't seat to guide concentricity be due to cutting the seats, which falls into CycleFabs lap, not Kibblewhite? Just a question.
                          Cotten, Agreed
                          Steve

Comment

I am not a machinist so I can't answer your question but maybe Cotton's response sheds some light on it. I know a number for folks that have those set ups from Paul and didn't seem to have those issues and are running them fine. I would think that you would cut the seats first then drive in the guides but again I am not an expert machinist so.... Good luck figuring it out.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                            AMCA 12766

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                              ... I would think that you would cut the seats first then drive in the guides but again...
                              I think its the other way 'round, Tom!

The guide is pressed-in first, so the seat can be cut concentric to however it goes in.

(That's one reason why so many veterans are sunk so deep: Too many guides have been arbitrarily replaced.
                              And an over-sized guide is rarely-if-ever going to follow the bore perfectly, because the bore aint' perfect if it needs it.)

....Cotten
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-13-2020, 12:43 PM.
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                              X