66 flh timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 flh timing

Does anyone have an easy way to hold the timing cam advanced so I can static time my flh.
    Cone shovels , I could just hold it advanced with a wrench. I haven’t been able to figure out a way to do that with this 66. Thanks Don

I use these things called fingers, work well for me.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rubone, I was hoping for a little more. It seems a little awkward. Advance the cam and moving the timer and watching the light and locking it down. I realize it’s not really that bad, just thought if I could lock the cam in the advanced position I could be more accurate. I’m all about minimizing errors.

Comment

Originally posted by DonIII View Post
        Thanks Rubone, I was hoping for a little more. It seems a little awkward. Advance the cam and moving the timer and watching the light and locking it down. I realize it’s not really that bad, just thought if I could lock the cam in the advanced position I could be more accurate. I’m all about minimizing errors.
        https://www.jpcycles.com/product/380...g-static-timer

Comment

Thanks kozy, I saw one of those for cone motors didn’t see that one. But that brings me to a question. Should there be a bolt holding down the point cam? I was removing the breaker assembly today and there was no bolt holding the cam down.
          This is a auto advance if that makes a difference. ....Don

Comment

Gravity holds it down, the top keeps it from flying off into space.
            Last edited by Rubone; 03-05-2020, 06:56 PM.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

That clamp won't work with a timer, as you said it's for a cone motor. My mistake.

Comment

Thanks to you both...Don

Comment

Since this post is about timing, I thought I would ad my question here.
                  I have not set the timing on an auto advance unit in quite some time. After the front intake closes and the timing mark is in the middle of the window, is the points suppose break in non-advanced or are the points suppose to break in the advanced position. The bike is set to break in the non-advanced position right now with mark in the center of the window, but the mark on the cam does not line up with the points.
                  Thanks again for all the help given, it truly means a lot.
                  Ryan

Comment

Timing is always set at full advance. The line on the cam is for basic alignment and rarely lines up with the points when set properly.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                      Timing is always set at full advance. The line on the cam is for basic alignment and rarely lines up with the points when set properly.
                      Thank you, So I will put the line in the center of the window, advance the cam, and rotate the distributor until the points break.
                      So if I have this correct, after timing the unit, I rotate the engine again after the number one intake closes and the points break, without advancing the cam, the line on the flywheel should be to the right of center almost to the back of the window?

Comment

Rubone,
                        Thank you again for the timing tip, I used a test light, rolled the motor over to double check it and when I points broke, being advanced, I looked in the window and the line was centered. So thanks again!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X