Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Create a New Topic in the Forum (AKA Make A Post, Start A New Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Create a New Topic in the Forum (AKA Make A Post, Start A New Thread)

Creating a post, or as our Forum calls it creating a new topic use the following procedure. We will look at this from the perspective of creating a new topic in a specific forum, in this case the Parking Lot Chatter. many members make their first and only topics as a want ad to sell an antique motorcycle or associated parts, equipment and stuff. You can also make your first New Topic in the Practice posting messages here... forum for the first time to practice. In any case no matter where you want to place your New Topic here is how to do it.
    1) Move your computer pointer down in the General AMCA Forum to Parking Lot Chatter and hover your pointer over the Parking Lot Chatter label, you will notice that your pointer turns into a finger pointing and the Parking Lot Chatter label becomes underlined. This means it is a hot link that you can click on and it will take you inside the Parking Lot Chatter forum. So do that now - click on the Parking Lot Chatter label with your pointer.

Notice that the main header remains as you go to each sub-forum that way you can access some of the main areas that help you navigate around the forum.

Notice also that just below the AMCA Forum main heading is now a sub-forum heading for the Parking Lot Chatter sub-forum. In the upper left area you will see a stand-alone button like tab with a (+) plus sign and the label New Topic. When you click this tab it will give you a screen that allows you to create text for your new topic.

2) Click on the tab +New Topic.

Notice that the message creation page looks like a word processing or email creation screen. It basically gives you all the same capabilities as a word processing program.

Notice a blank box with the label Title: You will need to click in the box to get your text cursor in the box so you can create the title for your thread. Just write a general heading for example New Member from Ames, Iowa Saying Hi. Most likely youre not from Ames but you get the idea.

Now move your pointer down to the big empty box and click to move your text cursor. This will put your text cursor in the message box where you create your thread. Now write your message for example.

Hi Folks - I am a new member from Ames, Iowa and I wanted to drop in and introduce myself. I go by the username ______________. I have recently acquired a 1965 Harley Davidson FL that is complete but has been sitting for 30 years and needs some TLC. I plan to keep it as an original bike. I have been a member of AMCA for a couple of years and just want to network with other members. I am a member of the _________ Chapter. Its good to be on the forum and I look forward to keeping up with everyones posts.

Thanks,
    Thats the way to do it. New topics as they are called in our forum software are created the same in each of the sub-forums. The boxes at the top of the message creation box are for formatting the text in your message. It may be best to look at a bunch of posts in the forum and see some of the things people have done to format their text. Of course, one of the more important ones is to insert a photo. Let me explain that in the specific Topic for photo posting below but first lets just complete your simple message in Parking Lot Chatter.

3) Submit your New Topic. Notice that below the text message box on the lower right there is a couple of command tabs. "Cancel", "Preview" and "Post". By clicking on Post it lets you send the message to the forum. Clicking on Preview allows you to see what it will look like before sending it to the forum. So let's go ahead and submit your new topic. Click on Post. This sends your post right to the forum. There is no prompt like Are you sure? It goes right out there.

Please Note: Sometimes the forum will timeout and log you out. Regrettably being logged out while you are creating a new topic or commenting deeply on someone else's topic may cause you to lose the text you already wrote. (Very frustrating) Plan out your time as you are writing and if you think you will be commenting or starting a new topic that will require some thinking as you write, create a draft first in your word processing or notes app so that it is retained safely. Then copy the text you created and paste it into the big blank text box for the new topic after you refresh your browser and make sure you are logged in. To insure you are logged in simply look to the upper right of your Forum screen and if you see your user name then you are logged in.

Good luck with your posts and remember that anytime you need help with the forum and how to do things to to make the forum more useful to you contact the admin/moderator, fellow AMCA member Mike Love at mikelove44@gmail.com
    Last edited by ihrescue; 03-12-2023, 01:19 PM.
Working...
X