1941 WL Bearing Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941 WL Bearing Race

I'm rebuilding a 1941 WL transmission, and may need a new main shaft race in the side cover. The existing one is a bit crooked in the cover and I don't want to use it. The problem is I've not been able to find just the race for sale anywhere, and all the books and tech manuals I have don't list it as a separate part number. I have found new covers with the race included. Is that my only option?

The books I'm using are TM 9-1879 War Department Technical Manual for WLA, March 1944, The Armored School Motorcycle Department Fort Knox, KY Motorcycle Mechanics Handbook, 1943, HD '45' Sevice Manual Models WLA-WL-G, 1940-1952, and Palmer Restoration Guide, 1994.

I've been away from this project for a few years, so if there are any new sources I should have let me know.

All my parts books shows this race. The old part# is 2290-33 and the new # is 35102-33.
    Repops are available from any 45 parts supplier such as Eastern, Flatland, or 45 Restoration.
    Eastern even stocks an over sized one if yours has spun in side cover.

Comment

Thanks RCamp, missed that page on 45 Restoration site. I'll press mine out and determine the condition of the cover hole.

Which parts book do you have? Sounds like I need one.
      Last edited by Rex37W; 02-25-2020, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Got a new race but it doesn't look usable to me, the only other new races I've worked with are automotive wheel bearings and their surface didn't look anything like this.
        Can it be honed, and if so what type of stone will i need?
        How good does this have to be?
        If there are better ones available, where would I get them? Eastern?
        Attached Files

Comment

According to a few bearing manufacturer sites the surface for roller bearing races like this should be @ 8µin but I don't know what that looks like or how to achieve it. Any advice on lapping or honing would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex37W View Post
            According to a few bearing manufacturer sites the surface for roller bearing races like this should be @ 8µin but I don't know what that looks like or how to achieve it. Any advice on lapping or honing would be welcome.
            After installation that race needs to be line lapped and fit to roller bearings.

Jerry

Comment

Line lapping would be good, but if you don't have that ability, use a 80 grit flex hone to clean it up, then finish off with a 180.
              To my knowledge,Harley never line lapped these at the factory.

Comment

Line lapping is not necessary on a 45 gearbox. Finish and size count only since the main shaft eliminates the need for line lapping via the heavy clearance bushing in the clutch gear between the main shaft and the clutch gear.

Comment

RCamp and Paps,

Good to hear from you guys again, I think you were major contributors to the success of the original build of this 45 @ 2006. The Palmer book, factory and military manuals don't require line lapping but I can understand the desire to do so. I'll perform the suggested honing, measure and get appropriate rollers fitted.

Comment

Working...
                  X