65A Generator Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65A Generator Question

I'm restoring a 47 WL with a 42WLA Flathead. When I got the bike (basket case), previous owner had converted to a 12V system. It has a 65A generator, voltage regulator, 6volt coil, 6 volt battery. It ran with this set-up 12 years ago and sat in the garage until about a year ago when I finally "got around" to rebuilding it. I didn't realize the battery and coil was incorrect until I started to rebuild everything. I thought about going back to a 6V system but the 65A tested out good and all the bulbs are 12V and I didn't want the added expense of purchasing the 32e generator. I already picked up a reproduction 12 volt coil. I have a few questions though:

1. I am assuming it would run better or should be running a 12V battery, and does anyone have a recommendation for one that will fit in the battery box?
    2. The 32e generator diagram shows a coiled spring and an oil deflector between the generator and the drive gear/oil slinger. Do I still use the spring and oil deflector on the 65A generator or just the drive gear/oil slinger? I can't find a drawing that breaks down the 65A.

Thanks in advance!

Frankie
    Was this bike a basket case when you bought it? I am wondering if the previous owner just thru that generator on the bike to sell it or maybe generator was converted to 6 volt. Is the regulator 12v or 6 volt. As far as the gear , spring and oil slinger go the model 65 has a different set up on the drive end. Iam not an expert but sounds a little strange.

Comment

I didn't think about or know you could convert the 65 to a 6 volt, I'll have to check that and also check the regulator.

Comment

You need to run the correct gear for oil control, the model of generator does not matter. It should be the 45 gear with slinger, not that Big Twin picture you are looking at. Generator splines are the same so they fit just fine. A 12V generator doesn't work with a 6V battery (the battery will self destruct in short order) so there is something else going on or it was really never run that way.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rubone - I know the battery should be a 12V to work properly, I guess that is why I am scratching my head over this. I only ran the bike a little, probably less than a mile and occasional start up before it took it's 12 year nap. Probably why I didn't see battery failure. Anyhow, after looking into this I think I am "switching gears" and decided to go back to a 6V system. Other than getting a 32 from 45 Restoration or searching ebay do you have a recommendation for finding a generator or does anyone on this forum refurbish them?

Comment

There's a guy in Ct. that does them although his name escapes me at the moment (sucks gettin old). Maybe just me mentioning the guy will jog someones memory. I'll post it if it comes to me. Smitty.

Comment

Rich Brown, or Dale Cashman, both AMCA members.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will follow up with them.

Comment

Rich Brown and Son have done several generators for me. Highly recommend them. Good work at a fair price.
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                    Rich Brown, or Dale Cashman, both AMCA members.
                    Not to jack the thread but... Robbie any chance you could post their screen/forum name for contact purposes. Need my generator gone thru on my 65 Pan

Comment

I talked to Rich Brown yesterday and he is hooking me up with a 32e. I am glad I called him as he was very informative and I believe fairly priced. So based on that I would recommend him, his add is on page 88 of the most recent Antique Motorcycle issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X