X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Image Attachments

How to insert images in a post

Before we talk about actually placing a photo image in your post first make sure all your photos are ready to be uploaded from your computer. One suggestion would be to have a specific folder in your computer to store forum photos. It helps to rename your photos so you can recognize them by the name when you are hunting for them to attach to a forum post. I also make any photo quality adjustments to my photo images such as image size, clarity and color before I actually start the upload to my post. For the forum I recommend that your photos be in a .jpg format. It seems to produce a better and larger image than say .png format. Computer operating systems have some sort of photo editing capability as part of your system's software bundle. Get to know how to make adjustments to your images using your computer. It will make your life easier all around. You can learn about how to manage your computer's photos by searching for internet articles or YouTube videos. I just entered in the YouTube search the keywords "organize photos in Windows 10" and I got this suggested video called How to Organize Photos with Photos App on Windows 10. I also found this general overview on YouTube called Windows 10 photo app tutorial. These tutorials and many others can help you learn about your Operating system and some of the features that can help you effectively use the AMCA Forum.

In regard to size of the image you should be able to set the size I have found that 1024 X 1024 pixels/inch is a good all-purpose size. If you will be posting images that you screenshot, screen capture or screen snip on your computer look into where it saves these images and what image file type it uses. For instance on my MacBook Air it sends screenshots to my Desktop file and saves the image as a .png file. I then go into my photo application, make adjustments, rename as needed and save it as a .jpg file. JPG is my go to image file because it seems to produce the most versatile image files and loo good.

Now for our main event - how to upload images and insert them in your post.

If you are starting a new post and want to insert an image this procedure will help you through the steps. Keep in mind as you plan and write your post our past forum versions had a five-image limit for each post. This may not be in place for this current version and I will confirm and edit this as needed. You will notice throughout the Forum that members adapted to this image limit by doing a series of posts - replying to their own post and adding five more images in each reply. This is especially important for serial posts like you find in the Member Bike Build Forum.

If you are posting something that is mostly text with a few images first write all your text then go back to the point where you want to insert your image and click to place your pointer where want the image, then follow the inserting procedure. Consider writing your draft post in a word processing or note application on your computer and copying the draft and pasting it in your post. I originally got in the habit of this with former forum versions because as you were thinking writing and editing a draft in the forum it timed out at a predetermined time. In that version you generally lost your work so until we completely figure out all these characteristics it is better to be safe than sorry over losing the best post you have ever written.

If you are providing just a few comments to support your images just upload your images, position them in your post and go back and fill in with text to explain what they are and why they are relevant.

A few comments first about image placement. As you are thinking through and planning your posts consider where you where you want place photos. Let's say we want it following a block of text that describes a magneto repair. You can put the photo of the repair after the text. It can be helpful to your reader if you note in the text that a photo is below.

Note: your photo will be inserted where you put your computer cursor. Think of your cursor as X Marks The Spot. Two helpful tools that are part of your computer are the pointer and cursor. The pointer
    allows you to move around anywhere on your screen then click to place it where you want it. The pointer movement is controlled by a mouse, track-pad or screen stylus. The cursor is the point where a letter appears when you type on your keyboard. The cursor can be moved around using the direction arrows, the return button and the tab key all on your keyboard. Or more flexibly you can use your pointer to place the cursor where you want by pointing it where you want it and clicking the device you use to control the pointer.

Use the following to position the cursor first where you want your photo.

Place your pointer where you want the image and click the return button on your keyboard two times. This will give you the proper space between the text and photos placed previously. It will give you a whole line of space between the image and the text. If you don't leave an extra space your image will butt up against the text and that makes it hard to read. If you are inserting several photos that you want to follow in sequence follow the same spacing procedure, hit the return two times so you have a space between each photo.

There is a couple of ways to post photo images but let me offer what I find is the most streamlined way.

1. Place your computer pointer where you want the photo using my suggestions above for space – click to place your cursor in that spot. Then scroll down the screen until you see the button “Upload Attachments” (See the image below) Click on the button.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 6.35.43 PM copy.jpg

2. It will take you to your computer files where you store your images. Find and click on the image you want to use then click on the button at the lower right (see photo below) “Choose for Upload”.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 6.37.42 PM copy 2.jpg

3. You will end up with a photo thumbnail and choices for the size of photo you want. This function appears below the text window for your post and below the Upload Attachments button. The words Thumbnail Small Medium Large Full-size Remove are links that when you click on them with your pointer it tells your computer to insert the image. (See photo below)

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 6.38.29 PM copy.jpg

4. But before you click to insert make sure your cursor is in the right position in your text. Go back into your text, find the spot for your cursor and click your pointer. Then with your computer pointer move back to those size descriptions as noted in the photo in #3 and click on the size photo. Once you click on a size choice it will upload and insert your photo. If your first choice wasn’t the right size just click on remove and it will remove the photo from your text and you should start the process over at #1.

Once you have the photo you want in place add any text to finish your post and click the command button "Post" at the bottom of the page. Try it out in the forum called Practice Posting Messages Here. You can post as many practice posts as needed to get comfortable. That way you can get some experience. As always feel free to email me if you have any questions. mikelove44@gmail.com

Mike Love
    AMCA Forum
    Last edited by ihrescue; 02-24-2021, 09:08 AM.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
    X