convince me to convert to 12 volts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convince me to convert to 12 volts

History first: Have owned this 1948 Chief for 30 years, 65,000 miles. Still running 6 volts on stock Autolite generator. Yesterday out on a beautiful 70 degree day and the generator light starts to glow, barely made it home.

Indian charging systems never that good to begin with. Either you set up to charge with lights off or on, no in between. This generator was a NOS unit installed in 1990 when I bought the Chief. I know I got my money's worth out of it.

I have plenty of 6 volt bulbs to last me a lifetime. 6 volt Cycle Electrics generator bolts right in no changes needed.

If I convert to 12 volts need to change all of the bulbs, the coil, and the battery which I probably need anyway. Switching to 12 volts lets me upgrade to led bulbs(brighter). Down the road possibly an electric start upgrade if needed.

What do you think?
    Dave

I would first want to know what is not working on the generator or regulator.
    If I was to buy a non original CE it would be 12v.
    I think the indian 6v system was fine with a 29 A battery,with smaller batteries charge rate control is a problem as you mentioned..I still use the India batteries or a smaller USA in a box ,both wet cell.
    My first choice other than repair myself would be to send to someone like INDIAN Fank for evaluation and repair.If you ride at night a lot I would go 12v.
    Tom

Comment

Ideally, you want an IndianFrank@yahoo.com conversion, Dave,..

But if you want an off-the-shelf product, the CEs are great, but please avoid the ugly end-mount regulator (which interferes with Chumme assist springs);
      CE's rectangular solid-state regulators are easy to hide.

(I spear-headed the production of CEs long before I met Frank: http://virtualindian.org/projgen.htm#cepic. If anyone wants the original prototype, with Bosch-style regulator upon its band, please email me direct at liberty@npoint.net)

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

6V LED's are available to replace most incandescent bulbs. They take a big load off the electrical system.
        I don't know how they affect your Indian charging system. Is it common to convert the Indian generators to two brush system with a different regulator?

Comment

I use a H-2 HD 6 volt battery for knucks and pans. The generator will not motor when powered up. I checked the brushes and I don't see any broken wires. Don't really care about originally want dependability.

Aumick, yes they can be converted, but the regulator is $240.00 and a new CE gen is $425.00. And I still don't know what is wrong internally with my Autolite ge..

Dave

Comment

I am running the 12V CE, I have LED lights front and back, no charging problems or lighting problems. I did have another that looked original, 3200 miles it quit working and swapped out. It was less expensive, works great. It doesn't work with the buddy springs. If you are too heavy and don't care if the bike looks 100% original you can always get a post spring like HD uses and install it.

Comment

Originally posted by RonH View Post
              I am running the 12V CE, I have LED lights front and back, no charging problems or lighting problems. I did have another that looked original, 3200 miles it quit working and swapped out. It was less expensive, works great. It doesn't work with the buddy springs. If you are too heavy and don't care if the bike looks 100% original you can always get a post spring like HD uses and install it.
              Or, Folks,..

Ignore the ugly end-mount regulator, by choosing the 'standard' CE replacement, that does not interfere with ""buddy"" springs (Chumme dammit.)

Buy a piece of history with the original prototype for less, and I'll toss in a Greer pulley.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Sorry Cotten, I meant Chumme!! LOL!

Comment

Howdy Dave,

First off, sorry for not responding to your request at CAIMAG a while back, I’ve been locked out since July and no amount of admin forms have garnered a response and even a note to Buzz went unanswered. Though no HD 32E, a 6 volt Autolite can be made extremely reliable with a two brush conversion, sealed bearings and an electronic regulator (PODtronics about 80$ through Coventry Spares). That will now allow you to use a decent battery. I run two Shorai BS06’s in parallel in a hollowed out Indian battery for 36 amps.

LEd’s, the best thing to come along in decades for our old machines with small gauge wiring and generators struggling to produce 10 amps. These reduce your electrical load by almost 90%.
                  All lights to convert your machine
                  https://www.ledlight.com/6-volt-nega...ed-lights.aspx
                  Sealed beam looking headlight
                  https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/5-75...headlight-kit/
                  My 48 Chief site with regulator conversion
                  http://www.patwilliamsracing.com/1948indianchief/

The headlight is in bright white (6000K), has alignment tits and a flatter profile than a GE4030 but it’s performance is fantastic. Get all the other bulbs in warm white (3000k) that matches the warm organic glow of the original incandescent.
                  Cheerio,
                  Peter
                  1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Hello Peter

Peter first time to hear you since October '19. Sorry about hijack. Did my card find you? Hope to see you in 2020. Rich
                    DrSprocket

Comment

Peter, No hear since Oct. '19. Did card reach you? See you in '20? Rich P.S. Sorry about hijack.
                      DrSprocket

Comment

Good to hear from you Peter. I am going to upgrade to 12 volts. I ride this bike way too much to continue with 6 volts. I already have the 12 volt lights from another project, so I will only need the new generator.

No chance of the regulator hitting the Chumme seat springs because my legs are too short to use one!

Dave

Comment

Well howdy Rich,

Got the card, you are a gentleman, we truly enjoyed the ride with y’all we thought would not come to pass, doing one or two this year.

It has been a challenge, among other things, same shoulder that had us riding that rented street glide essentially one handed is up for fourth surgery on Wednesday. Whereas it took a month recovery to tackle that road run will have exactly 6 days before leaving for Bike Weeks and two weeks of riding. Thus reason for getting this 48 Chief ready for anything with LED’s and all. Short of a Vincent or Vespa, lightest most manageable thing I have, haven’t missed Bike Week in over 30 years, not going to now!
                          Cheerio,
                          Peter
                          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Peter, Hope to run into you at the Swap Meet at Bridle Sands during Bike Week. Always a pleasure...My wife says hello to yours...Get healed up as we are doing 4 of the 5 AMCA road runs this year Yee Haw....
                            Ross

Comment

Whoops forgot about the thread content...still run a complete 6Volt system on my 47 Chief and all my HD 45's, and no problems, but you guys have got me really thinking about 12V...
                              Ross

Comment

Working...
                              X