No announcement yet.

convince me to convert to 12 volts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have considered converting to 12volt. If I needed a generator I would do it. There is a electronic ignition available and an electric starter available for 12volt. Not for six. Down side I still have Oem wiring I wouldn't dare run 12volt thru it. My opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Arley View Post
      I have considered converting to 12volt. If I needed a generator I would do it. There is a electronic ignition available and an electric starter available for 12volt. Not for six. Down side I still have Oem wiring I wouldn't dare run 12volt thru it. My opinion
      If your wiring carries six volts safely, Arley,..

Then its over-kill for twelve.

Or so I'm told.

....Cotten
      PS: Don't forget USB outlets are available for 12volt, too!
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-25-2020, 10:20 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

For the same load, double the voltage, half the current.
        There is virtually no difference in insulation standards between 6v and 12v. If the insulation is not good for 12v, it is no good for 6v.

Comment

Arley, They're correct I have a 6v wire loom on my 40 El and it has worked well with 12v through it.
          DrSprocket

Comment

My problem is with the cloth wrapping. Yes it is heavy enough

Comment

Originally posted by Arley View Post
              My problem is with the cloth wrapping. Yes it is heavy enough
              I hate soiled linen too, Arley!

But six volts is a lot more picky than twelve.

If the smoke isn't getting out now, it won't with the "upgrade"... necessary or not.

...Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-25-2020, 04:59 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Well there was that one time when my battery went dead on the Chief and my daughter jump started me with her car. Made it home, bought new battery, all was good....

Comment

I am running a ce generator on my 40 chief with no problems in 4 years ,I also have an original 48 chief that I am considering changing to 12 volt ce ,I recently found iron horse Indian from Australia that has an generator that is suppose to look just like the original but I Have not heard if anyone is tried these yet

Comment

I just did it with an Indian Frank 12v gen rebuild and his solid state regulator. He does nice work btw. Reasons: (1) be able to run bright LED headlight and taillight all the time, for safety, and (2) get rid of leaky battery and replace it with a modern AGM in a fake case. Very happy so far. The bike seems to run better too. Just like it does after I clean it.
                    Last edited by Lipdog; 02-27-2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

While ignition coils are basically 6 volt with an external or internal resistor there are high output coils available from speed shops for 12 volt systems. Just put on a nice made in USA Moroso with 40,000 volt output, really big spark compared to 12,000 volt that was on it, starting much improved.

Comment

Well, I went for it. I bought a 12 volt C.E. generator from Kiwi Indian and could not be happier. Updated the lights, coil, and battery. It started on the first kick as always and a 40 mile ride later confirmed that all is well.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X