45- Replace Oil Slinger with Shaft Seal Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45- Replace Oil Slinger with Shaft Seal Kit

Doing some research, cannot find anything on this Forum, found some related but not specific info on another Forum.

About a month ago I purchased from 45 Restoration their "Sprocket Shaft Sea"l kit for my 1946 WL. I am having some trouble finding some information on how to install in a built motor, still in the frame. I understand originally the oil slinger was installed when the cases where apart, but I believe it is doable with an assembled motor. Just looking for some tricks or tips before I get in there.

From my research I need to remove the clip, which I hear is a bear even with the cases apart, but it seems like persistence should win that battle. Clues would help if you have a process. The big question is removing the old oil slinger. Seems like it needs a puller to remove, and I read about drilling into it but now I am in the motor with metal shavings. Hoping someone has done it and found a good method. Pressing in the new seal appears to be straight forward, anything I should be worried about there? Depth into the case?

Hoping to tackle this project in about a week, all help greatly appreciated.

The circlip gets 'sacrificed', Architect!

They are cheap.

I jewelers-torched out the frosty ones: Make 'em red and yank. And the slinger should be a press-fit. If you REALLY think you want a seal, then sticking rods upon the slinger with an arc welder can give you something to pull upon.

Then measure the bore and your replacement to see if it also will seal with a press-fit to seal around its OD. (Often they are too small if the main has been fitted with over-sized rollers.)

And when you are done, hope your oil pump doesn't fill the cases all the way up while sitting, instead of safely leaking out the slinger to the primary as designed: Good Luck!

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-13-2020, 03:56 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

As Cotton said, if you are having oil leak from there while bike is sitting, then you have a leaking oil pump and are filling up the cases.
      The slinger has a reverse spiral, and with the motor running pulls the oil inboard.
      I have several bikes with this set up and none leak with motor running.

Comment

Motor has been noted to leak while running. When I take a 30 mile ride and stop, a noticeable amount of oil drips to the ground, not the standard 2 or 3 drips.

Not concerned with leaks while stored, sumping is expected.

I may need to investigate further, thinking I need to run the bike with the primary chain cover off and get a good look at what is going on.

I thank you both for your advice. To be continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Architect View Post
          Motor has been noted to leak while running. When I take a 30 mile ride and stop, a noticeable amount of oil drips to the ground, not the standard 2 or 3 drips.

Not concerned with leaks while stored, sumping is expected.

I may need to investigate further, thinking I need to run the bike with the primary chain cover off and get a good look at what is going on.

I thank you both for your advice. To be continued....
          Architect; First check your chain oiler on top of your cam cover. It may have too many shims under the screw head. If it is backed out too far, it will over oil your chain and you will notice an oil leak.
          Craig

Comment

Craig,

Thanks for the advice. Need to get a fender project complete so I can get her back on the ground, then outside for a look. Will report back when I know something more specific.

Comment

Working...
            X