Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help me identify these right rear shocks 1944?, 1946, and 1946-??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me identify these right rear shocks 1944?, 1946, and 1946-??

Sorting through some parts to take to the Fremont Meet and looking at 4 sets of Indian rear shocks. Can somebody confirm that the shock without chrome/black paint on the covers is correct for a 1944 or 1945 Chief. The casting has less of an arch on the top than the others and is stamped/marked 44 in addition to having a small foundary mark on it. I also need to know if the bronze one which came off my late 1946 Chief looks right or like it has been repaired. The lower spring is stuck in it so would also like to know how to remove the spring and if the casting can be repaired where is is worn. The Seafoam Green painted one has no markings that I have found so far and the last one is marked on both sides with the foundary mark and on the outside also with the number 2. I know they would fit 1946-53 but wondered if the markings indicated any particular year(s). Thanks
    Attached Files

Comparing pictures to Kiwi tech video on shocks (last 2-3 minutes):
    https://www.kiwiindian.com/index.php/tech/tech-video
    I'd say images #3 and #5 look like 1941-44 (based on "rib" on upper casting as opposed to full thickness)
    On foundry marks I am ignorant.

Comment

The right shock housing was reinforced twice.
      The recessed plunger arrived in 46.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKUDEIlKwIQ

Comment

Shane, I'm not sure which is which, to me the blue one is the different one. Jerry Hatfield's Indian Restoration Guide tells the same story as the Kiwi video, FN 86310 is early 1940 with a flat, thinner top, FN 86334 is late '40 through '44 with a welded on reinforcement on the top, and FN86344 (no change in part #) is '46 through '53 with the reinforcement now an integral part of the top.

None of yours appear to be without the reinforced top edge, and none appear to have the welded on reinforcement, so maybe they're all '46 through '53. He doesn't mention 1945! And he doesn't illustrate the Sport Scout (4's and Chiefs are the same I guess). Your blue one is a bit different, maybe it's Sport Scout?
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

in the attached icture you see the correct casting style for 1941-45. Yours are all 1946 and later I would say.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses. Does anybody have information regarding the chronology of bronze parts used on 346 models? When were cast iron housings and frame brackets used on 1946 Chiefs? My 46 Chief has a bronze right slipper housing, cast iron left slipper housing, cast iron right frame slipper bracket and bronze left frame slipper bracket. Did they used iron parts early in the year then bronze and go back to iron by the time the 347 Models were produced? Finally, any recommendations for a solvent ( heat) to dissolve the 80 year old grease that has turned into glue inside the bronze housing. Thanks

Comment

As to cleaners I have had good luck with:
              "Goof Off"
              Engine de-greaser
              Lacquer thinner
              "Unisolve"
              Goop hand cleaner
              Patience/rags/old toothbrushes and "tincture of time/elbow grease have all worked pretty well.

Comment

Also
                Dawn dishwashing soap
                "Popscicle/tongue depressor"sticks
                "Awesome" cleaner.
                These are a few of my favorite things. . .

Comment

Hey Shane, I found the Indian note on the shocks, Still looking for the ammeter notesIndian Chief bronze slipper.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
                    Hey Shane, I found the Indian note on the shocks, Still looking for the ammeter notes[ATTACH=CONFIG]27413[/ATTACH]
                    Thanks Bob! Just the kind of documentation I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                    X