6 Volt Delco-Remy 16 Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Volt Delco-Remy 16 Horn

I'm confused. I believe part number 4829-31 Terminal Square Fiber goes on the outside of the horn. First goes 4729-31 then 4829-31 then the two nuts. My buddy thinks he go on the inside of the horn under the terminal screw heads. I've never seen horn with them still in tacked. Any veiws on this or answers as to how it goes? Thanks

The square goes inside, the insulator with the lip outside to keep the screw centered in the hole. Both terminals are basically hot until the button is pushed and grounds one side, so both need to be insulated from the horn body.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie, If you put juice to one horn terminal and ground the other one ( Wire attached but not run to horn button for test of horn) and the wire sparks when touched to bare frame spot and the horn don't toot the horn is shorted out inside? But if both terminals are hot until one is grounded by horn button wouldn't it do the same thing? Spark where the horn button grounds out? Or as you say both are supposed to be hot and the horn's bad?
      DrSprocket

Comment

Just working on a horn re-build at present. If any one had an exploded diagram of all the parts it would be of great assistance. I found this thread and an article from Perry Ruiter which are helpful. An exploded diagram would probably make it clear for all questions.

Happy New Year.

VL Phill

Comment

I found this diagram in the "Harley-Davidson Panhead Service Manual 1948-1957 Rigid". Hopefully it helps.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Eric Olson
          Membership #18488

Comment

Thanks Eric,

I was looking for the wiring and insulators around the contact posts. This will go in my file, thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X