46 Knucklehead EL flywheel ID help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46 Knucklehead EL flywheel ID help?

I picked up this 1946 EL bottom end as is and I'm trying to figure out if it's built to run as a 61 or a 74 by the rods and flywheels. Appreciate the help. Google didn't cut it this time. Thanksflywheel1.jpgflywheel2.jpgflywheel3.jpg

Pull the rods all the way up on one cylinder deck and measure the distance from the deck to the center of the wristpin hole. Rotate all the way down and measure again. Subtract the short measurement from the long one. What is your number? 74 is 3-31/32, 61 is 3-1/2.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Measure distance rod moves up and down, el=3.5", fl=4.0", strokers are more.

Comment

Very odd stamps in the last picture. Balance job number?
        IDT those are stock wheels, the left side (normally 2-1/8", the edge should not be visible in the picture) is the same thickness as the right (1-5/8"), no early big twin has this. Possible:
        1. using 2 right sides for less inertia (very common, only possible 1936-54), needs timing mark added + rebalance
        2. left side has been narrowed (same reason)
        3. aftermarket replacement or stroker (S&S and Truett are same thickness both sides)

The center of the wrist pin hole doesn't matter as long as you measure to the same spot both times.
        The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
          Measure distance rod moves up and down, el=3.5", fl=4.0", strokers are more.
          The top of the crank sticks out .75 in at the bottom of the stroke and 4.25 at the top of the stroke. So it comes out to an EL which is great for me because I’ve got jugs for it that don’t have pistons stuck in em.. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
            Very odd stamps in the last picture. Balance job number?
            IDT those are stock wheels, the left side (normally 2-1/8", the edge should not be visible in the picture) is the same thickness as the right (1-5/8"), no early big twin has this. Possible:
            1. using 2 right sides for less inertia (very common, only possible 1936-54), needs timing mark added + rebalance
            2. left side has been narrowed (same reason)
            3. aftermarket replacement or stroker (S&S and Truett are same thickness both sides)

The center of the wrist pin hole doesn't matter as long as you measure to the same spot both times.
            Great hints. Thanks

Comment

Kitabel

The stamp on the flywheel is for EE Lindskog in Massachusetts. A lot of us in Mass used them for balancing.

http://www.lindskog.com/lindskog-bal...ive-balancing/

They probably still have the records for the balance job.

JC

Comment

edgemont

A bit late on this reply, I don't come here that often. If you want a bit more info on the lower end you can try to contact EE Lindskog in Massachusetts, that's their balance number stamped on the flywheel.
                They did the balance job on that and might still have all the info on it including the piston weight that was used when balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by 45knuck View Post
                  edgemont

A bit late on this reply, I don't come here that often. If you want a bit more info on the lower end you can try to contact EE Lindskog in Massachusetts, that's their balance number stamped on the flywheel.
                  They did the balance job on that and might still have all the info on it including the piston weight that was used when balanced.
                  Thanks man. I need to log in here more often.

Comment

Working...
                  X