1970 paint scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 paint scheme

I am looking at a 1970 FLH and wondering about the tank paint scheme layout. The bike I am looking at has obviously been repainted to a 67 scheme but I might want to paint it back to the correct scheme for 70. My question is the silver, I assume tape stripe, is that between the HiFi blue and white top and bottom as well as between the emblems and the painted black diamond where emblems are mounted. I have seen pics that claim to be OP but some have the scheme as noted and some don't have the stripe between the blue and the white. I would assume that it is both places but the claims of OP machine without it is contradictory. Anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

The chrome strip and black are both part of the same sticker. Blue (or other colors) is painted as well as the white spear. The rest is a large sticker. Rick's sells them, good reproduction. Sticker is under the emblem. It appears per my research the the original stickers did not hold up so well on some of the bikes, probably the ones not garaged. So lots of the bikes lost the sticker, which would be the chrome strip and black. Then guys painted the black back on in the same location, no chrome strip. My bike had blue painted in the location of the sticker, I got real lucky and their paint prep was non-existent and it peeled off with patience and a razor blade. Then I installed new stickers.

IMG_1992.JPG
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Will evaluate what to do if I get the bike. Lot of guys claiming OP on bike but the chrome strip is missing.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
      AMCA #12766

Comment

Hard to say OP without pictures. Like I said, the strip is missing on lots of bikes, but easy enough to acquire and install. Not my bike, but best picture I have here of an original 1970:
        Original Paint.JPG

Comment

Working...
        X