Looking for knowledge and advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1970 XLCH,

Thanks for the information. With climates that are similar, no doubt what you are running is a great suggestion.

Thanks again,

Frank

Comment

I have a 36 VLD and I run a modern heavyweight gear oil in the trans as was suggested to me by Ray, who worked on my trans. Works great! As far as engine oil.....I use 60w Harley oil in the summer and 50w in the winter as recommended by the manufacturer. This bike is now 84 years old and it likes what I use so why change. Good luck with your VL, they are great machines. Smitty

Comment

Knowledge

Originally posted by HDSmitty View Post
        I have a 36 VLD and I run a modern heavyweight gear oil in the trans as was suggested to me by Ray, who worked on my trans. Works great! As far as engine oil.....I use 60w Harley oil in the summer and 50w in the winter as recommended by the manufacturer. This bike is now 84 years old and it likes what I use so why change. Good luck with your VL, they are great machines. Smitty
        Smitty,

Thanks a lot for the input. I spoke with Ray the other day and what a nice guy. He's really easy to talk to and answered a lot of my questions. With the suggestions from you and others, along with a great guy (Pappy) I met at my first Dixon meet who also owns a 35 VLD all suggested the HD 60w, I went to the HD dealership here in town and bought a case. I'll put some more pics. on my members build thread soon if you want to take a look at my SLOOOOOOOOW progress of my reassemble.

Thanks again,

Frank

Comment

..................I'm Back!!!! I have been asking a lot of questions about what oil type and weight to use in my 35 VLD with three speed transmission. I put the 60 weight in the trans. (only about a 1/3 of a quart) to see if it would have any leaks............AND, low and behold I do! I’m not sure what the cover is called that I have pictured below, but that is where a small amount of oil is dripping from. I realized I hadn’t put any grease in the area of the small four screw cover that has two alemite fittings, so I did that after the oil was already in and it continued to leak. I looked through All the books I have and the spare parts book and didn’t see a gasket for the cover that I’m holding in the pictures below. I’m not sure if I’m suppose to have a gasket or some type of sealer or if the leak means I have other problems. I didn’t want to start taking more things apart if my problem is, I just don’t have enough grease in the area to keep the oil from leaking out or I just need a gasket or sealer for the small four screw cover. Any help or guidance that you may give me I would appreciate.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Chessie Jake; 02-19-2020, 11:00 PM. Reason: tried to rotate the pictures,Can't!

Comment

Dear Frank, there was no gasket under that cover originally, so the oil is coming from somewhere else. The original copper seals were not completely oiltight, and Harley said a few drops of oil overnight 'the size of a quarter' was normal. Today we usually fit sealed bearings to the box. Check the technical section on my Website. Another source is the ball bearing holder not completely mating with the gearbox case. I've used non-hardening gasket sealer or Teflon plumber's tape here before. In the 3 speed I've also used EP90 or EP80/90 oil which is a bit heavier than straight 50 weight and helps. You're looking at a 1915 gearbox design, so another solution is newspaper under the bike when you leave it standing...

Comment

Steve,
              As always, I can't thank you enough for your knowledge and information. I went down to the local Napa auto parts store and got some ep80/90 valvoline and for now, I gonna go with the newspaper. The drip was less than a quarter in diameter, so maybe with the 80/90 it'll even be less. Thank you again Steve!

Frank

Comment

Working...
              X