Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for knowledge and advice

Hello,

I've been putting my 35 VLD back together and was wondering what would be the best gearbox and engine oils for my area. What's a good weight and brand to use in my climate. I know everybody has brand preferences, but would really appreciate some advice/knowledge on type and reason please. I live in Livermore, Ca.(S.F. Bay area) if there is anyone out there that wouldn't mind me bending your ear from time to time I would really appreciate it. I'm not real good with reading a lot of manuals, but I'm trying. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Frank

I use Valvoline 85/140 gear oil in both my VL. 1 3spd w reverse. 1 3spd. 50 or 60 w Valvoline Racing oil for motor depends on time of year in CT

Comment

. I only work on VLs. Rebuilding Transmissions , Manufacturing Replacement Sealed Wheel Bearings, Rebuilding Brake Hubs,Trouble shooting
      You can also Join our Harley VLL Face Book Page
      You can contact me at Raybartomeli@sbcglobal.net.

Comment

knowledge

[QUOTE=34VLRay;187265]I use Valvoline 85/140 gear oil in both my VL. 1 3spd w reverse. 1 3spd. 50 or 60 w Valvoline Racing oil for motor depends on time of year in CT[/QUOTE

Thank you for the info. Ray, I really appreciate it. I've called all over Creation and I'm having trouble finding any place that sells 60w non detergent oil, any suggestions?

Comment

This is what I run in my JD. Buy it online or I believe Advance Auto can provide it.
          https://www.shell.com/business-custo...w100-w120.html

Comment

I buy my Vavoline oil at NAPA store

Comment

He's asking about non-detergent type oil Ray, Valvoine Racing would be a detergent type I believe?
              Chessie Jake, why are you specifying non-detergent oil? The Shell oil is an ashless dispersant, non detergent oil.

Comment

I miss that. I wouldn’t think it would make a difference since VL’s are total loss systems

Comment

Thank you Ray. I appreciate your info.

Frank

Comment

sswaney,

I was told not to put detergent in the engine, that it would not be good for it........but, the guy I bought it from didn't seem to know or care much about the bike. I told a little about some of the issues I had right after I got it in my intro. to the forum about 2 yrs. ago. A couple of the guys have suggested the AeroShell, it seems like it might be a little easier to find then the 60w non detergent. Thank you for the information sswaney, I really appreciate that you and Ray at least left some input rather then nothing like over 100 viewers did. Again, I really appreciate any help!

Thank you,

Frank

Comment

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 60 weight that Harley sells is non detergent. It's a bit pricey but it is available.
                      Dave

Comment

My J is set up Original style. That is the pistons have no oil control rings.
                        If I understand the no detergent oil argument correctly the purpose of the detergent type oil is it gathers the combustion contaminant together so the oil
                        filter can remove them more efficiently. On a true total loss setup (with no oil filter) you want to not seperate them but let them burn out with the oil that moves into the combustion chamber.
                        Otherwise they would accumulate in the crank area which would ultimately be detrimental to the motors bearing life.
                        You'll hear lots of arguments both ways, almost like which oil to use!
                        I just believe why go against the design of the motor? JMTC

Comment

I use 80/90 gear oil in the tranny & 60 wt Harley oil in the engine my 34 VLD . I live in Florida. HOT in the summer . Runs fine .

Comment

Dave,
                            I appreciate the info. I have a dealership here in town, so I can go check them out as an option.

Thank you again,

Frank

Comment

sswaney,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input. I know a lot of this information is probably pretty basic for the guys in the know, but I'm a guy that doesn't know, so it really is helpful to get educated about even the most basic of stuff. I'm really grateful that you took the time to explain it as you did. I have a lot of work a head of me , but I'm trying to put her back on the road as soon as I can and eventually have her as close to all original as I possibly can. I know that there are A LOT of opinions on original, but since I bought a nice shiny paint job and chrome, it'll never look like a survivor, but maybe someday it'll be a really nice old bike that I can enjoy many miles of riding.

Thanks agian,

Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X