Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for knowledge and advice

Hello,

I've been putting my 35 VLD back together and was wondering what would be the best gearbox and engine oils for my area. What's a good weight and brand to use in my climate. I know everybody has brand preferences, but would really appreciate some advice/knowledge on type and reason please. I live in Livermore, Ca.(S.F. Bay area) if there is anyone out there that wouldn't mind me bending your ear from time to time I would really appreciate it. I'm not real good with reading a lot of manuals, but I'm trying. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Frank

oil

H-D 50 W in winter and 60 W in summer.
    DrSprocket

Comment

Thanks Dr. Sprocket, really appreciate the info. .... Any suggestions for gearbox oil/fluid?

Thanks again,

Frank

Comment

Harley used engine oil in the gearbox so Dr Sprocket's advice still holds. In my temperate climate I use straight 50 weight oil in the engine all year round, EP80/90 in the three speed gearbox, and straight 50 weight in the reverse and four speed gearboxes.

Comment

look at Jon Numans' Green Poo tranny lube cocktail.

Comment

Steve, thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. Do you or does anyone reading this post know where I might be able to find some of this stuff here in the U.S.? I've called all over creation trying to find 60w non detergent oil with no luck.

Thank you,

Frank

P.S. Mine is a three speed, but hoping to get another one some day with a sidecar and reverse.

Comment

Knucklehead 61,

Do you have any more information that will help me find out what you are talking about? I tried to look up both Jon Numans' and Jon Numans' Green poop tanny lube cocktail and found nothing that was helpful. Thanks again for all your help.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Chessie Jake View Post
                I've called all over creation trying to find 60w non detergent oil with no luck.
                A few of the folks on the forum are using this. Seems to be readily available in the US. Ebay, Amazon, etc.

https://www.shell.com/business-custo...w100-w120.html

Comment

Knowledge

Originally posted by Peter Cooke View Post
                  A few of the folks on the forum are using this. Seems to be readily available in the US. Ebay, Amazon, etc.

https://www.shell.com/business-custo...w100-w120.html

Peter,

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                  X