Gas tank mounting, 48 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank mounting, 48 Chief

My right gas tank is seeping at the rear tab. I’m going to take it off and attempt to repair it with solder. But I want to make sure I minimize the chance of having it leak again, and I don’t want the other side to start leaking. I know not to overtighten it, but there is a gap between the tabs on the right tank and the frame. Mike Tomas told me the tabs should be tight against the frame, and I can use metal washers between the tanks and the frame, but it should be metal on metal and i shouldn’t use rubber washers. My tanks don’t seem to sit as tight against the frame.

Does anyone have tips and details on how to properly mount the tanks without causing stress on them?
    Thanks!

I can't really add anything to what you've already been told. The tanks tabs should be tight against the frame otherwise the solder joint(s) will be damaged resulting in leaks. If they're not, the best remedy I can thing of is to use metal washers as suggested by Mike.

Steve Slaminko

Comment

What is the tank hitting that is preventing the tab from mating flush with the frame?

Comment

Originally posted by Bills37 View Post
        What is the tank hitting that is preventing the tab from mating flush with the frame?
        That's a good question. I think it's related to the speedo and dash components. On the front tabs, there is a good 1/16" on either side. I inserted black washers.
        Attached Files

Comment

Seems to me that since the tanks are being removed for repair it would be an opportune time to correct whatever the interference is.

Comment

when you shim those gaps you may have trouble with dividing strip falling thru the tanks.
            Tom

Comment

I decided to go with a new Iron Horse tank (really nice piece of work) and, when I was test fitting it, I figured out that the interference was the small bracket that mounts to the frame and holds the bottom screw of the dash. I fixed that but have two questions:

(1) Is this gap between the dash panel and the tank normal, or should I try to find a better dash? I understand I need a gasket and will get one of those.

(2) My bike is black but the emblem is painted partially red. I like the look, and I found quite a few black Indians on the web with red emblems. But I've also heard it should be the color of the bike. What is correct?
              Attached Files

Comment

From factory ,no dash rubber and emblems were Indian red. Dash height controlled by switch and dash mount.

Comment

Originally posted by tomfiii View Post
                  Dash height controlled by switch and dash mount.
                  Thanks. The issue is that the dash contacts the tank at the top and the bottom, and arcs in between to create a gap of about 1/4" at the middle. The speedo location is fixed so I can't move the dash forward or backward. I may be able to bend the front of the dash so it sits down a bit further, but I suspect it'll be limited by the top of the speedo. If these dash's all fit poorly like mine I'll live with it. But I'll get a different one if it'll solve the problem.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Lipdog; 04-19-2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

speedo aligns position and ign. sw. limits height. You may have to slot speedo mounting holes. Due to the way Indian align drilled as they were mounting parts can cause a lot of adjusting of parts,even tanks.

Comment

Tank Emblem Paint Colors

I have always heard that the 1947-51 Indian Chiefs had red paint between the letters and 1952-53 Indian Chiefs had black paint between the letters.
                      In regards to the 1947-51 emblems, the red was more of an "Indian Red", not a bright red.
                      I have several NOS sets of 1947-51 emblems and the color is definitely more of an "Indian Red".
                      Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by motor-officer View Post
                        I have always heard that the 1947-51 Indian Chiefs had red paint between the letters and 1952-53 Indian Chiefs had black paint between the letters.
                        In regards to the 1947-51 emblems, the red was more of an "Indian Red", not a bright red.
                        I have several NOS sets of 1947-51 emblems and the color is definitely more of an "Indian Red".
                        Thank you.
                        Thanks. My emblems are in good shape but the red paint isn't well applied and you can take it off with your nail. I'm thinking of trying 1-Shot Kool Crimson (https://www.1shot.com/One-Shot/color...g-Enamels.aspx) and applying it with a detail brush.

Comment

Working...
                        X