Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted: A Complete set of Indian Motorcycle Illustrated / Indian Motorcycle Magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: A Complete set of Indian Motorcycle Illustrated / Indian Motorcycle Magazines

If anyone has complete sets of these magazines I would like to hear offers to purchase them from you.
    Sets must be complete as I have about a dozen so far and have not seen any others except one or two here and there.
    I have found the tech articles in them a resource that can be invaluable.

Thanks.
    -JTR249

Have you talked to Buzz? He had a bunch for sale, not sure which issues. I was a charter subscriber and have all of mine but no, they aren't for sale.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

How many issues did they publish? I have 16 from spring 1993 to winter 1997. Is that a complete set?
      Dave

Comment

That's a good question. Hey Robbie, how many did they publish? I thought about sending an email to Buzz, though haven't done so yet.
        I might see if there is an official check-list. I will list the one's I have in a later post.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get back to you Dave.
        -JTR249

Comment

This is what I have. I'll email Buzz and see if there's a check list.

Indian Motorcycle Illustrated copies; as far as I know, these were published from 1991 to 1996 on a monthly basis.

Winter 1993
          Spring 1993
          Spring 1994
          Autumn 1994
          Summer 1994
          January 1995
          March 1995
          May 1995
          July 1995

Indian Illustrated
          Summer 1996
          I don't know if this is what the magazine did when IMI ended and they tried to keep it going? The inside says this one is issue #14. Does that mean there are at least 14 copies of IMI?

-JTR249

Comment

There were 16 total. The only duplicate I have is issue #2 Winter '93, the last issue was Winter 97 and is #16.
            Last edited by Rubone; 01-30-2020, 07:24 PM.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by ammorest View Post
              How many issues did they publish? I have 16 from spring 1993 to winter 1997. Is that a complete set?
              Dave
              That is all of them Dave.

I also have " Vintage Views" and "Motorcycle Collector".
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks, Robbie, guess I have them all with a couple of duplicates: spring 1993 and January 1995. They did have some good articles. I suppose there just wasn't enough interest to keep them afloat.
                Dave

Comment

Rubone,

Was there one magazine or two? Do you have the same list as mine or were there 16 issues of Indian Illustrated 1996-1997. I have not found any later than 1997.

-John

Comment

IMI Winter 1996 Ad.jpg

The photo of the above ad is from IMI winter 1996. The slipcases were offered for issues beginning in “winter 1993 on.” The magazine was published seasonally from 1993 to 1997. This means at least 8 issues per year, not including special issues if there were ever any published. However, I noticed something peculiar about 1995. For this one year I noticed both monthly and seasonal issues were published. This means there were possibly 36 issues of IMI published total.

Buzz Kantor has not responded to my email about the existence of an official checklist. Worldcat.org could possibly house the records or the Library of Congress.
                    I will share the results of what I learn with those interested.

JTR249

Comment

How do you derive 8 issues out of "seasonally"? And the issues are numbered consecutively, so no other magic issues exist. I was a charter subscriber (that means I paid before any were ever printed) and had a continuous subscription until they ended (in fact they owed me money when they failed)., so I'm not sure what you are trying to make exist that did not?
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yes, Robbie, I meant 4. Sorry about the mistake.

The publication data in each issue tells the reader how many times a year the press run was published. That little square with all the fine print, usually in the front of each issue. I'm not instigating problems, I'm trying to find out how many issues were published. I just checked this morning and I was inaccurate about 1995. That data says bi-monthly, which means they only published 6 that year, however, some issues for that year have a month before the year and some issues have the season. Does that mean they published an additional run of six added to the standard?

That makes about 22 issues depending on what number of issues were published in 1995.

-John Robinson AMCA #36450
                        Last edited by JTR249; 02-09-2020, 07:01 AM.

Comment

I just found this also.
                          Winter 1997.jpg

I guess this means they only published one issue in 1997. You were right. About 15-16 issues total.

-John Robinson

Comment

Here's the checklist.

IMI Checklist.jpg

I was confused by the change from seasons and then months, then back again. The publication was still twice a year and then four times a year.
                            There are 16 issues listed counting the winter 1997 in which the checklist appears.

My apologies to Buzz for not reading the fine print.

-John Robinson

Comment

I am missing four issues; Autumn 1996, Spring 1996, Autumn 1995 and September 1995.

-JTR249

Comment

Working...
                              X