X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mecum 'Indian Larry'.

HiYa,
    2020 Mecum Las Vegas. Saturday 1-25.

indian-larry-legacy-grease-monkey-full-1635.jpg >>> 'Grease Monkey' $200,000.00
    Indian Larry.jpg >>> 'Chain Of Mystery' $150,000.00

The 'Grease Monkey' was the M/C that Larry fell off on, and later died from. You can still see the original dent on the right side of the gas tank. Boy, those auctioneers really hyped & pushed these two Motorcycles--and it payed off for Andrea "Bambi" Cambridge, Larry's Widow.

*M.A.D.*
    Last edited by JoJo357; 01-26-2020, 02:03 AM.

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum: I understand, sympathy and best wishes to his family.

However: I don't see anything worthy of recognition in the design and construction of these bikes. The Grease Monkey looks like what Orange County would make: an assortment of bolt-together parts. People I rode with 50 years ago did the same thing with 1% as much money. The prices quoted are entirely the result of speculation produced by "Own a legend: Steve McQueen sat on this bike, make it yours for only $500,000".
    The Linkert Book

Comment

I guess with premium's, 'Indian Larry's' grand total was...'Grease Monkey' 220K. And 'Chain of Mystery' 160K. Both Motorcycles were not split-up, and were purchased by Rick Salisbury of Legends Motorcycle Museum.

*M.A.D.*
      Last edited by JoJo357; 01-28-2020, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Lot of money for so so bikes. I understand the legacy about who built the bikes but to bring that kind of money???
        Craig (Delaware)
        Delaware Bay Chapter
        Perkiomen Chapter
        AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Originally posted by craig (DE) View Post
          I understand the legacy about who built the bikes but to bring that kind of money???
          "Many relics have a legend or history attached to them, which is supposed to add to their significance and mysterious efficacy. Even the smallest particles is believed to contain power. While one may call it superstition or fantasy, this belief in their worth is one reason they are so much in demand. There is no rational explanation for it."
          Collecting, An Unruly Passion
          Werner Muensterberger (Princeton University Press, 1994)

Comment

I have a Indian Vertical racing legend Don the Snake Prudhomme wanted to buy. He may have even touched it. Maybe that made it worth more, think so? Stan

Comment

Not everything was that high. I bought the Hank Reiman WR hill climber that still needs a little work to finish for 17.6k with commision added. It was just after lunch on Saturday and I was going to leave after selling one of my bikes, but decided to see if I could get it. With MR 3 carb. I always wanted a hill climber, and with history no less.
              https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0120-39...-hill-climber/
              #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
                I have a Indian Vertical racing legend Don the Snake Prudhomme wanted to buy. He may have even touched it. Maybe that made it worth more, think so? Stan
                This just sold on EBaY. Eastbourne UK. 5000 Pound/Sterling. At current currency exchange, this is $6500.00 USD.
                s-l1600.jpg >>>Total Parts Sold.
                s-l1600.jpg >>>Documentation.
                EBaY UK Description: This is one of the 4 Burbank Custom motorcycles purchased by Peter Grant, Led Zeppelins manager back in 1972. It was imported to the UK by Grant in 1973. I purchased it in the late `70s from Peter Grant. Unfortunately while in my possession much of the motorcycle cycle parts were stolen.
                However there are photos on the internet of the machine with John Bonham, so a good Custom Shop should have no difficulty in replicating the missing parts. Wheels were the original Triumph TR25 conical hub type, the forks were custom springers.

This is an interesting project with provenance, a rare piece of pop music memorabilia.

*M.A.D.*
                Last edited by JoJo357; 01-29-2020, 03:59 AM.

Comment

I only watched a little on tv and was surprised that what lookedlike a nice unrestored 14 Thor went for only 9k.
                  Tom

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                    ... a good Custom Shop should have no difficulty in replicating the missing parts.
                    This is an interesting project with provenance, a rare piece of pop music memorabilia.
                    I'm reminded of the story of the original axe George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree. The axe is completely original, with the head having been replaced only twice and the handle three times.

Comment

Originally posted by BoschZEV View Post
                      I'm reminded of the story of the original axe George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree. The axe is completely original, with the head having been replaced only twice and the handle three times.
                      Nobody in their right mind would pay this amount for parts *(5000 Pounds) that are only worth about a thousand dollars or less...unless they have a scheme in progress. This Motorcycle would be an easy project to duplicate without breaking the bank, and cashing in on a flim-flam.
                      H3257-L78857821.jpg >>>England's answer to...'Captain America'.
                      046.jpg >>>The late Led Zeppelin Drummer...John Bonham. Ironically, Bonham sold at Bonham!

Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham’s custom Triumph “Sunset Tripper” chopper ridden in the epic documentary film The Song Remains the Same. Burbank Customs 1972 “Sunset Tripper” chopper built for Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham. Inspired by the legendary “Captain America” chopper from Easy Rider, the four members of Led Zeppelin commissioned Ron Hagest, owner of California-based Burbank Customs, to create Triumph-based choppers for each of the band mates.
                      Hagest designed and built the motorcycles based on a rigid, hard-tail frame with customized twisted-steel “springer” front forks and stacked rectangular headlights. Replete with the Union Jack paint scheme on the gas tank and high back seat with sissy bar, each member of the band had his particular “rune,” or symbol (Bonham’s being three intersecting circles, as seen on the cover of their fourth album) welded and chromed on the sissy bar. The Triumph 650cc two-cylinder engine is from a 1970 T120 Triumph Bonneville.
                      Rounding off the custom look are the exaggerated upward bend exhaust pipes flanking the machine. Hagest, recently interviewed, fondly recalls in September 1972 shipping the disassembled motorcycle via airfreight to John Bonham’s country estate called Old Hyde Farm at Cutnall Green in Worcestershire and assembling it for him on his property. One of Bonham’s passions was vintage cars and motorcycles.
                      In Led Zeppelin’s documentary The Song Remains the Same (filmed the summer of 1973; released in 1976), Bonzo can be seen riding this “Sunset Tripper” in the English countryside during his memorable dream sequence. The motorcycle remained with the Bonham family since his untimely death in 1980 until 1988 when Jason Bonham sold it to the present owner. Since 1988, this notorious motorcycle has been displayed in a pizza parlor in Denmark until December 2014 when it was shipped to the United States.
                      Measures 102 in. long x 56 in. tall. Mechanicals are untested and rubber grips have deteriorated. Overall, in very good vintage condition. Engine serial number: AD38939. Sold on a Bill of Sale.
                      Sold at 2014 Bonham Auction: $40,000.00

*M.A.D.*
                      Last edited by JoJo357; 01-29-2020, 04:11 PM.

Comment

That may very well be the only Triumph 250 rigid frame chopper ever built, making it even more rare.
                        The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
                          That may very well be the only Triumph 250 rigid frame chopper ever built, making it even more rare.
                          https://youtu.be/P6HPHfDYJ_w

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Working...
                          X