Need help indentfying '15 Indian cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help indentfying '15 Indian cases

I need to assemble a 1915 Indian twin engine for a '15 / '16 chassis that I bought with what I thought was a '16 Powerplus engine.
    Since the engine turns out to be a '17 (which I also have a chassis for), I need to assemble a '15 engine.
    I have two sets of '15 cases, but there are minor differences in them that I need someone to identify for me.
    Can any of you tell me why these cases are different on the drive side?
    DSC02257.JPG
    Attached Files

I would guess the right case was originally fitted with the front kickstarter.
    Tom

Comment

Dear samsmc1
      Your Hedstrom case #74G5xx was original set up for the front kickstart, while the other case is for the standard rear kickstart.
      While I have no experience with a 1915 front kickstart, I use to have a 1914 front kickstart Hedstrom. Soooo, based on the 1914 front kickstart that I use to have, here goes:
      Note: At this time, I was not able to find my Hedstrom parts books, they are around here someplace, so I do not know the official Hedstrom names for the parts, so please forgive me on my making up names for the various parts.
      On the engine case above and below the drive output are smaller diameter holes, there are for alignment/locating pins.
      On the engine case above, below, in front, and behind the drive output are threaded studs (looks like somebody cut the studs off on your engine case) that are for mounting a thick brass bracket that mounts to the engine case using these studs and held in alignment with the alignment pins.
      The thick brass bracket has threaded holes in it for mounting the front of the primary chain cover. The bracket also has threaded holes in it for mounting a round piece that holds the front starter engine sprocket.
      The engine sprocket is special as it has ratchets teeth on the surface of the sprocket.
      The engine sprocket nut is special as it a shaft that threads onto the drive pin to hold on the drive sprocket as well as goes through the center of the front starter engine sprocket.
      The front starter engine sprocket has two groves in it and ratchet teeth on the motor side that engages with the special engine sprocket, the shallow grove is closer to the motor, and the deeper groove is further out with two short curved groves connecting them.
      The round piece that mounts on the thick brass bracket has a spring-loaded ball in it that rides in the grooves of the front starter engine sprocket.
      Soooo, now that I have confused you, here is how it works to confuse you more:
      Before starting, the spring-loaded ball in the round piece mounted on the brass bracket/primer cover, is riding in the shallow groove on the front starter engine sprocket.
      As you push the front pedal starter that is mounted on the front motor engine brackets, the chain will rotate the front starter engine sprocket. As it turns, the spring-loaded ball with come across one of the curved grooves in the front starter engine sprocket and go from the shallower groove down the curved groove into the deeper groove. The causes the front starter engine sprocket to move towards the engine sprocket and the ratchets teeth on both will engage. Now the front pedal starter is turning over the engine.
      Once the engine starts, the ratchet teeth will disengage, which caused the front starter engine sprocket to move outward, causing the spring-loaded ball to jump from the deep groove into the shallow grove, holding the front starter engine sprocket in the disengaged position.
      If the engine backfires, there is a system in the front pedal starter assembly that is mounted on the front engine mount that will disengage the front pedal starter.
      And yes, it sounds confusing, but I do not have pictures of my old bike system which would make the description a lot clearer.
      Spacke2speed
      P.S. At first, during many years of touring on my 1914 Indian, due to the delicate nature of the front kick start system, I also had the rear kick start system mounted which I use, as I was using a ’15 trans and ’15 clutch to make the bike more tourable. I later removed the front kick start setup as I keep getting asked too many times why there was two kick starts on my Indian. I keep the ’14 clutch, 2 speed, and front kickstart setups in the shelf, they went with the bike when I sold it. Note: there are differences between the front pedal kick start assemble from year to year.

Comment

Working...
      X