12v BATTERY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v BATTERY

My frame is at WASCO getting repaired and starting motor overhaul on 52 PAN. My question is If I go to a 12v system like many have what battery are you using that fits inside horseshoe of oil bag? A search of PANHEAD forum did not yield much information.

V-Twin sells one.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I have an "Anti-Gravity" battery in my Flathead converted to 12v, works great, very small.

Talk to Kevin, he can set you up, good man and one of us:

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/

Comment

I've been using these for several years. I know little about batteries, I simply chose one of correct size and amperage. So far, no problems.

Comment

I've been using AGM batteries for a while, and now have Duracell Dura12-12F2 batteries in two Panheads. They look similar to the Yuasa in the previous post. You mention a starter motor rebuild, I don't think this battery will
          work with electric start.
          VPH-D

Comment

VPH-D, sorry about that. Engine overhaul not electric starter motor.

Comment

I don't recommend to use Lithium-Ion-Batteries, unless you need it for an electric starter system. They are really dangerous in case of heat or shorts
              in your motorcycle circuit. If that happen your bike will burn, you have no chance to kill that fire !
              I use sealed and carefree AGM (or Gel) batteries, e.g. the Duracell-Ultra. But you have to know, if you run such batteries you have to convert your
              Generator into a 2-brush solution (see HD shop dope #418) and to use a Regulator to get the voltage controled for a max. of 7.2 Volts.
              I developed for this a robust Regulator unit who I can install into original DelcoRemy cut-out Relay Chassis, available in 6 or 12 Volt and for all types of
              Generators, e.g. Model C,D, 32E, 32E2R fancooled police, Model52,58 or Model65A. George

Comment

Schorsch, I have a model 51 generator which is a two brush 6v generator and I plan on converting it to 12v. So are you a vendor for these voltage regulators?

Comment

Hi Ircormier, yes, I developed and produce 6 and 12 Volt Regulators. It's a very robust unit which I can integrate into DelcoRemy 2-post or 3-post Cut-Out
                  Relay Chassis or into early Harley electromechanical Regulator Chassis too. As my hobby I overhaul (retrofit) and/or convert Harley Generators Model C,D, 32E, 32E2R, Model 52,58,61 or 65A. Always I do a power check Generator+Regulator as a set for my Harley-Friends. Send me your email address and you
                  will get more Information(and fotos) from my side. George
                  By the way, I'm from Germany, but I have a very knowledgeable friend in USA, he sell and support my solution for Americas...

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
                    I've been using these for several years. I know little about batteries, I simply chose one of correct size and amperage. So far, no problems.

Larry, Do you run that battery with a standard generator or one of the low output ones.

Comment

Harley 65A

Comment

Originally posted by D.Ed View Post
                        Larry, Do you run that battery with a standard generator or one of the low output ones.
                        12V Generators should all put out the same, D. Ed!

Regulators make the difference, and "low output" (voltage) is only necessary for batteries in a hot oil tank, to help prevent electrolyte loss.

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

T. Cotten, so is electrolyte loss an issue when using a sealed battery? I will be running a 12v system and had planned on placing the battery within the horseshoe oil tank.

Comment

Originally posted by lrcormier View Post
                            T. Cotten, so is electrolyte loss an issue when using a sealed battery? I will be running a 12v system and had planned on placing the battery within the horseshoe oil tank.
                            I have zero experience with sealed batteries, LR!

You might ask Carl at Cycle Electric directly...

....Cotten
                            AMCA #776
                            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                              12V Generators should all put out the same, D. Ed!

Regulators make the difference, and "low output" (voltage) is only necessary for batteries in a hot oil tank, to help prevent electrolyte loss.

....Cotten
                              Should have said low output regulator. Still wondering which end cap style regulator would be best to run with the NP12-12 battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X