Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which bike does this Harley single go into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
    So thirty plus Harley single motors going into commercial lawnmowers in 1933 sounds about right... It's hard for us today to realise how tough it was in the Great Depression. Harley were down to a two day week and losing money, with list prices of bikes cut a couple of times in the previous model years. What a year to launch the 33VLD as a premium priced sport model! Check out the movie 'Gold Diggers of 1933' and the song 'The Forgotten Man' for a flavour, it shows young WW1 veterans selling apples on the street corners. It all changed with Franklin D Roosevelt's inauguration in January 1933 and the New Deal. The 1934 model launch Enthusiast is full of optimism and purple advertising prose.

And I agree any VCR would have all three letters in the engine number. We have the surviving one of one 34RLDX made for Germany and it has all four letters in the engine number.
    Thanks for the history and explanation. I have a book that helps ID the number style on later VINs, but not on these. Here’s my VIN boss. I was masking the number back when I thought it went to a bike out of habit..

5EF6636B-A2DD-4BA0-A9C2-88B765A48837.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by edgemont View Post
      I have a book that helps ID the number style on later VINs, but not on these.

I can’t see anything wrong with your SN. All characters appear usual factory types for 1933. I’ve seen that 3 in SNs from about mid-1924–1934. Also notice the style of G and C. You’ll see these characters in the magazine article I mentioned. BTW, if you can’t locate that article let me know and I’ll send you a copy via PM or email.

Casting ID of 2–29 is what I’d expect. Diagonally across from 2–29 you may find a cast-in 1 or 2. Also on that case you may find another casting mark but I’m not sure what it represents.

You have a book that helps ID the number style on later VINs? What years does it cover? Can you name the title and author please. Where can I buy a copy? Thanks.
      Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
        I can’t see anything wrong with your SN. All characters appear usual factory types for 1933. I’ve seen that 3 in SNs from about mid-1924–1934. Also notice the style of G and C. You’ll see these characters in the magazine article I mentioned. BTW, if you can’t locate that article let me know and I’ll send you a copy via PM or email.

Casting ID of 2–29 is what I’d expect. Diagonally across from 2–29 you may find a cast-in 1 or 2. Also on that case you may find another casting mark but I’m not sure what it represents.

You have a book that helps ID the number style on later VINs? What years does it cover? Can you name the title and author please. Where can I buy a copy? Thanks.
        Eric
        Thanks Eric, I took a look and I must have been thinking of the book; how to restore your Harley Davidson” by Bruce Palmer. I found some info about number styles and how to possibly spot a fake. Not very in depth but more than I knew before reading.

Comment

Sounds like you have one of the books with front cover spanning 1937–64. Regardless of first edition or second edition, I advise extreme caution concerning SN info in that book because there are problems. And that book also contains problems relating to belly number info.
          Eric

Comment

It’s the latest edition. I appreciate the effort and dedication it must’ve taken to write that book. And I really appreciate the gurus on this forum who help cross referencing everything in it.

I handed my wife a cylinder with a knuck head on it yesterday and asked if she could ID it with the book and google. She’s still working on it, and she ain’t no dummy.

Comment

Working...
            X