Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which bike does this Harley single go into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which bike does this Harley single go into?

Trying to find a frame for this motor vin 33GC1###. 70B46C31-4A3F-434B-80E1-EF68DA6D2E8D.jpgThanks!

The frame was used from 30-'34 with minor changes, 45s used it the first couple of years also. Most all the rest of the stuff crosses over to 45 as well.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

that sprocket hanging or attached to what appears a shaft coming out the timing side is interesting....
      Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
      https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Swan View Post
        that sprocket hanging or attached to what appears a shaft coming out the timing side is interesting....
        Looks like it was repurposed for stationary use.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          Looks like it was repurposed for stationary use.
          It was found with an indian single that was used as a water pump.
          Maybe this one ran a sawmill.

Comment

Model 33GC was made for the Worthington Mower Company and it is listed on the Model Layout Sheet below. What does the serial number look like? Does it appear authentic?
            Eric

Comment

1933 model year for Harley was at the depth of the Depression, with production back to 1910/11 levels. They were really scratching to get turnover, and you occasionally see stationary engines from this period. My guess is that most of the singles were built up from existing stock, with single cylinder bike production finishing in 1934. The table looks slightly theoretical, as I doubt any VCR road markers were actually produced that year, nor RLDEX models . I also have a suspicion the VL models with magnesium pistons were using up left over stock from the first 2000 VLs, where customers complained they were noisy and pistons were replaced with cast iron, among other changes. A 33GC is a great find - I bet it has a low serial number. The Harley 'Legend Begins' book shows no such model or production numbers, presumably because they were sold as components to another manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                The table looks slightly theoretical, as I doubt any VCR road markers were actually produced that year

Steve, I’m interested in why you doubt any VCRs were produced for 1933. Apart from being listed on the layout sheet above, the 1933 VCR is mentioned on the page below.

Also, I have the revised fourth edition of your book on the 30–36 V-series and page 14 says the VCR was made for 31–33. Thanks.
                Eric

Comment

Just an opinion, as we know some of the export R models were not produced. The VCR is shown in Jerry Hatfield's 'Inside Harley-Davidson' for 1930-31 as a curiosity, but I've never seen one. It had a 60 tooth rear sprocket not the regular 51, and wasn't the sidecar on the other side? And who would be marking roads with new equipment in the worst year of the Great Depression? The Harley 'Legend Begins' shows no VCR production for 1933, but maybe they were like the VDS with the S for sidecar very rarely stamped, so that any surviving crankcases would just be stamped 33VC. My VL book is now in the sixth edition, but the VCR info remains the same, maybe it needs a footnote.

And interesting to see the new sporty 33VLD was fitted with the 25 tooth drive sprocket as standard. No wonder it did 104 mph on Muroc dry lake.

Comment

Great info guys. The VIN boss 33GC103# looks authentic and unaltered. Belly number as well.
                    Last edited by edgemont; 01-25-2020, 04:00 AM.

Comment

What you have is a lawn mower motor. If you look at the Indian single water pump. you may find it was also used as a lawn mower motor. worthington used Indian motors before switching to Harley
                      rob ronky #10507
                      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Thanks Steve. I have Hatfield’s book but I too have never seen a VCR in person.

In The Legend Begins, production figures and model descriptions on pages 199-higher are often unreliable and the book itself says the info on those pages is not to be regarded as totally accurate.

I don’t think 33VCR cases were just stamped VC. According to the model layout sheet I posted above, the 33VCR had all three letters in the motor number.
                        The 31 layout sheet I have says a similar thing for the 31VCR: all three letters were in the motor number.
                        Eric

Comment

Cheers edgemont. In the March-April 2017 issue of The Antique Motorcycle there are photos of a 33GC with serial number close to yours. It is 1023. I don’t know how many GCs were built though.
                          Eric

Comment

So thirty plus Harley single motors going into commercial lawnmowers in 1933 sounds about right... It's hard for us today to realise how tough it was in the Great Depression. Harley were down to a two day week and losing money, with list prices of bikes cut a couple of times in the previous model years. What a year to launch the 33VLD as a premium priced sport model! Check out the movie 'Gold Diggers of 1933' and the song 'The Forgotten Man' for a flavour, it shows young WW1 veterans selling apples on the street corners. It all changed with Franklin D Roosevelt's inauguration in January 1933 and the New Deal. The 1934 model launch Enthusiast is full of optimism and purple advertising prose.

And I agree any VCR would have all three letters in the engine number. We have the surviving one of one 34RLDX made for Germany and it has all four letters in the engine number.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
                              Cheers edgemont. In the March-April 2017 issue of The Antique Motorcycle there are photos of a 33GC with serial number close to yours. It is 1023. I don’t know how many GCs were built though.
                              Eric
                              Hey, great lead Eric. I’ll look in the article.

Comment

Working...
                              X