BMW /5 handlebar switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW /5 handlebar switches

I am looking for serviceable new or used left and right hand switches. I would also consider a reputable rebuilder. None of the stateside sources have them and they are no longer manufactured.

I have never had a problem with mine, so I am no help with repair. I don't know who you tried but I have always had great success with Bench Mark Works in Mississippi. If it isn't a show bike I am sure you could adapt something else from and Asian machine or English machine. Then later on find something at a Swap meet or Ebay. There also used to be a web site MRCycles .com that connected you to bone yards directly and you entered your information and the bone yards would get back to you with price and availability.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

I would think that if the plastic or - bakelite that is used for the switch on them is ok that they could be rebuilt. What is wrong with them?
        Jim D

Comment

Contacts are badly worn and making intermittent contact on left switch, right switch has been previously done with bad solder job.
          Bakelite is serviceable.
          Last edited by rrandall; 01-11-2020, 07:36 PM. Reason: Needed more info

Comment

I had luck soldering the Lucas switches on my Norton. I found out the best thing to use was not a low wattage iron but a higher wattage gun. It only takes a second or two to build up. Then let it cool and dress with a file. BTW the parts site is MRCycleParts.com. My memory is just not what it once was.

Comment

I would brush up on you soldering skills or find a local craftsman that can do it for you. Maybe someone that repairs printed circuit boards or similar electrical appliances. I don't think it would be a difficult job to do. Any used ones that you source will probably need similar attention. I also would go with a solder gun rather than the smaller solder iron. Look for a Weller solder gun that has a high and low 100 or 140 wattage controlled by the trigger. Make sure that you have the gun already heated up ready to go right before that you lay it on the contact to solder it. Use rosin core solder and flux not acid. If the gun doesn't seem to heat up quite right always check the two nuts that retain the tip and snug them up a bit. Everything has to be cleaned very well right before you solder not the day before. Use good newer wire that hasn't had a chance to oxidize and cut the end back a inch or so to before that you remove the insulation. Check out YouTube for some videos,
              Jim D

Comment

Thanks For the advice

Comment

Working...
                X