Early Cone Cam Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Cone Cam Cover

Can anyone tell me if this hole ( pic ) is stock on a pre '73 ( side oiler ) cone cam cover ( 70 to 72 ) ? I have included a pic of the removed bushing to show where the drill nicked it on its way to the bottom of the bore .
    I am converting it to an end oiler , and think this hole should be plugged . Thanks , Mike
    Attached Files

Mike,
    Do you have a photo of the oil feed holes to the cover.

Comment

Thank you , aumik 10 . Is this what you are looking for ?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 1970 XLCH View Post
        Thank you , aumik 10 . Is this what you are looking for ?
        That looks like a 1970-72 side oiler nose cone.
        If you want to convert to an end oiler, I highly recommend you modify to the 73 and up oiling system.
        The bottom hole on your cover feeds the crank,, but it is also the same ports that feed the top end. When the oil gets hot, the oil preferentially goes to the bottom end and starves the top end/lifters, loosing oil pressure and causing noisy lifters.
        The 73 up system separates the oil feeds so the lifters always get oil first.
        S&S have a detailed pamphlet detailing the steps needed, depending on the parts you have.

Comment

Thank you aumick10 ,
          I know it is a 1971 cover . What I need to know is if the hole in the pinion bushing bore ( as shown in picture above ) should be plugged or left alone ?? I am converting it to an S&S oil pump and I did replace the pinion bushing to an end oiler .

Comment

To do the whole conversion you need to drill new passages in the cases and cam cover to redirect the oil. Block off the original cover feed port, or replace the cover with a 73 up. The end oiler system is fed from the top hole in your cover, but there probably is not a matching port in the cases yet.
            I think the bush blocks off the hole you are talking about. Blow some air down it and see if it goes anywhere.

Comment

Working...
            X