1936/37 Battery Cover Wingnuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936/37 Battery Cover Wingnuts

20200102_183321.jpg I've seen a lot of versions of these on the internet, but mine are brass. I'm 100% sure they are original, but never seen another pair. Whats the history???
    Steve

Come on fellas,
    Out of everybody on this site with all the experience and expertise, no one has info on these? Chris? Robbie?
    Steve

Comment

1930 to 1949 used cad plated brass, style changed in 1950.

Comment

Thank you !!!
        Steve

Comment

Battery wingnuts.jpg Mine don't have the recessed wings. Any info on why?
          Steve

Comment

I think the recessed wings were early aftermarket - possibly Dixie.

Originally posted by shinedogg View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]26995[/ATTACH] Mine don't have the recessed wings. Any info on why?

Comment

Thanks Jerry, They are listed as OEM, so another example of selling misrepresentation.
              Steve

Comment

Well, mine have the same shape as yours and are made of steel ,cad plated:
                http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...ight=wing+nuts

Never got a satisfying answer about mine but I assume the material changed over from brass into steel around 41 when brass was needed for war purposes.

Rein

Comment

Battery wingnuts.jpg Mine don't have the recessed wings. Any info on why?
                  1930 to 1949 used cad plated brass with solid wings.
                  1950 to 1964 used zinc alloy with wing indents. (like the photo)

Comment

Thank you to everyone who responded. Wow, that means that over the last 83 years, the cad has been worn off completely, which is amazing in itself!
                    Steve

Comment

The wing nuts on my unrestored 1937 ULH are brass; identical to Shinedog's. No cad plating. Possibly over the years the battery acid fumes have eaten away the plating??? I have several of the dimpled ones that I got from an old Harley dealer. They are called 66387-26. Just another example of Harley changing the part but not the part number.
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ammorest View Post
                        The wing nuts on my unrestored 1937 ULH are brass; identical to Shinedog's. No cad plating. Possibly over the years the battery acid fumes have eaten away the plating??? I have several of the dimpled ones that I got from an old Harley dealer. They are called 66387-26. Just another example of Harley changing the part but not the part number.
                        Dave
                        My thought is that they were probably cad plated brass. Cad is not a real durable finish compared to zinc or chrome.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                        X