No announcement yet.

Oil Pump Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you , Cotton . I have done that . Pulled the pipes & the rear exhaust valve had oil on it . I'm going to post another thread to see if I can find anyone that has had the same problem .

Comment

Did you happen to take any photos during your conversion?
      There is also two different length pressure relief valves, but I cannot remember which is which.

Comment

Sorry no pictures , because this S&S pump was going to be the " solution to all my problems " UGH !!!!
        The S&S pump runs Harley's long valve # 26400-82 .
        The stock pump has the short one # 26400-54
        Been trying to get some help from S&S . Talked to Chris a couple of weeks ago , NO HELP !!
        Tried their email tech help , They responded once with a few questions ( nothing helpful ) , I answered them , but no response .
        I'm probably going back to the stock pump & run solids . Thank you for your help !!

Comment

Sorry it didn't work out. If you pull the cam cover again, can you get some photos?
          Cheers

Comment

Thanks again for your help . Here are some pictures of the drilling steps in the instructions .
            Step #2 picture 013
            Step #3 picture 017 & 018
            Step #5 picture 019 & 020
            Step #6 picture 021 & 022
            Pictures for reference :
            Picture 007 gear timing
            Picture 009 pump gears
            Picture 011 case
            Picture 012 pump as taken off . I had a small oil leak & I think it was because of the gasket in this picture .
            Attached Files

Comment

More pictures they only let you post five per . Have a total of 11 .
              Attached Files

Comment

Last one . See anything I messed up ??
                Attached Files

Comment

Looking over it now. Get back to you

Comment

Which cam cover are you using?

Comment

1970 XLCH,
                      I cannot see anything wrong with what you have done.
                      I assume you fitted the plug into the original crank feed port. Step 5.
                      The timing marks do not line up in photo 07, did you rotate the motor before you took the photo.
                      Check the cam cover gasket to the cover AND the cases.
                      There is no reason i can see why this procedure would have caused the rear cylinder to blow smoke. The only thing I can think of is the valve stem seal has moved. A big coincidence if it is what happened.

Comment

The more i think about it, I wonder if the valve stem seal has been loose for a while. With the original oil system, the top end was getting a lot less oil, and this was hiding the seal issue. Now that the top end is getting the correct amount of oil, the seal issue is showing up.
                        I now it is a pain in the butt, but i would suggest you pull the rear head and check it. You have a lot of time invested now, and it will be a more pleasant ride when you eventuallu sort it out.

Comment

S&S has an inverted " T " as their timing mark which doesn't show up in pic 07 . I'm pretty sure I have it right . I am thinking of yanking the head , UGH !!

Comment

I can see the pinion gear and cam marks don't line up. Cannot see the breather mark.
                            Pull both heads while you are at it.

Comment

Two marks on the pinion , a little hard to see . I believe it is lined up per manual

Comment

You are correct. That pinion was also used on generator models.

Comment

Working...
                                X