Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between 32e and 52 generator

Hi
    What the difference between a 32 e generator and a 52 generator?
    I've got a 32e 6v on my 56 panhead and I should be a 52 6v generator
    Is it better tu put the correct 52 generator.
    With the 32e I cannot ride long time with the light on
    Waiting your help
    Thanks
    Gérald

I was told that the difference between the two is the amp numbers for the field coils. That's the electrical side of the difference. On the physical side, by 1956, the genny tag had been replaced with numbers and features stamped directly into the genny body. So if you're going for originality, you have to find an untagged model 52 body. As for your lighting problem, that sounds more like a cut out relay problem. Might also be that the generator isn't producing enough to maintain battery voltage. Make sure also that the number is 52, and not 52K. That genny is a 2 brush, and won't work with a stock big twin wiring scheme without some alterations to the system.

Comment

I doubt if the problem is the cut-out. All a cut-out is a polarity sensitive switch. When generator voltage exceeds battery voltage it closes to allow the generated current to the battery. When the generator voltage falls below the battery voltage it opens to prevent the battery from draining to ground through the generator.

First thing I would check is to see if you can set-up your 3rd brush a little.

Maybe the 52 has a little more generating potential but there is no reason why a 32 cannot do the job for you if it is working correctly.

Jerry

Comment

A 52 has thinner brushes than a 32, which in turn makes the brush holders different also.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Gerald, have you tried to adjust the 3rd brush yet? If not it might help. You need to remove the end cover, loosen the screws retaining the 3rd brush plate, and rotate the plate against armature rotation a little. Check the voltage on the battery again. Try again until you get above 6.4.

There is no voltage regulation, so with the lights off it can charge high. So keep in mind to have lights on.
          Dan Margolien
          Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
          Www.yankeechapter.org
          Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
          X