INDIAN DRAB GREY - 1930 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INDIAN DRAB GREY - 1930 Chief

Who out there knows what INDIAN DRAB GREY LOOKS LIKE? I'm restoring a 1930 Indian Chief and according to the #410 Contact Points dated Feb 14 1930 there were 10 factory colors and number 6 was: INDIAN DRAB GREY - Chinese Red Panel, Green Stripe. Has anyone seen a bike painted in these colors or know where I can source color chips. Is there a recognized resource for Indian colors? John Pierce has a fantastic website with most of the Harley colors but no longer does Indian colors. Thank you Matt.
    Attached Files

Matt, even though 1930 was the start of the E. Paul duPont era for Indian paint, etc., Dupont's early catalog colors changed in market names, paint numbers, and formulas over the years, so you can't trust old paint charts. I don't know how you would be able to find an accurate formula for Dupont's 'drab grey' without an actual, un-defiled example. I just went through this with a good original sample of a Harley color that I took to a reputable automotive paint supplier (which they didn't get right). In the old days, paint shops had 'the guy with the eye' who could match color to a sample. Regardless of what any paint company says, their computer comparators are only 90% on their best day so you are going to be hard pressed get a good match of a genuine sample.

About 25 years ago, Steve Johnston obsessively collected genuine Indian touch-up paint cans and reclaimed enough paint to make a number of genuine samples that he attached to a board that he sold. Those are long gone, but now highly sought after, (I wish I bought one). The sample were the real deal and allowed restorers to find a good paint matcher.

If you are set on drab grey (which I think is a good choice) I would look at an early Harley-Davidson grey as a starter, but I think you will find there is little consensus on what contemporaries think H-D used for grey. Whatever grey you choose for your Indian, I doubt you will ever be challenged on your choice. If you are challenged, just ask the SOB to show you a genuine sample
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

The Steve Johnson paint sample board only covered standard Indian production colors from 1946 -1953. And drab gray is not one of them. I think that he made 135 of the boards if my memory is correct. The sign is metal and done in porcelain. The paint samples have a magnetic backing and can be removed to take it to a paint supply store for matching. The whole thing is really a work of art.
      Jim D

Comment

My point was only to say that Steve went to a helluva' lot of trouble to find genuine samples of Indian paint, and his mission was almost religious. I should have mentioned that those samples were late Indian numbers. My reply to Matt was an attempt to be pragmatic, and realistic regarding his effort to find a good match for an unusual Indian color offered 90 years ago. Excelsior, and Harley-Davidson used grey as a standard color and I only mention that as a speculation that Indian used a similar shade, or hue of grey to formulate their "drab grey".
        Last edited by exeric; 12-20-2019, 04:30 PM.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Hi Eric, Apologies for the late reply - I had issues with my new computer. Thank you for your comments. I agree, I'll have to chose what I think best represents that colour and have been collecting images to try and get it right. Cheers, Matt

Comment

Have you tried Jim at Parker Indian? He may be able to help.

http://www.parkerindian.com.au/about.html

Comment

Hi Peter, Yes I have. I live around the corner from his shop. Thanks Matt

Comment

Working...
              X