Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint type recommendation please.

Hello,

I am going through a 1941 Chief and would like to paint it as close to Indian Red as possible. I have a paint chip to go by. Anyway, in looking at all the paint types available, there are just too many choices for a newbie at painting such as myself.

I can find Lacquer, Enamel, Urethane and a few others. Lacquer seems to be the cheapest, but cost is not my main concern and from what I have read, while it is easy to apply and patch, it is 'soft' and does not last all that long. The vast majority of the time, the bikes I have are in an enclosed garage and the only light they see is when I turn the overhead lights on my shop on or I take one for a ride maybe 2 to 5 times a year. So, fading is not a major concern. However, I want something that will last and look good to great. I am not after a 100 point bike as my Indian has electronic ignition, 12 volt conversion, 4 speed overdrive synchro tranny, electric foot and aftermarket primary cover. I just want something that is close to original as possible without going crazy bucks about it.

I have this desire to do things myself instead of farming it out to some shop. Even if it takes me a few tries it will make me a better restorer for the next time.

What is the collective opinion as to the best paint type / brand to use? I was thinking Urethane, but you might prefer something else.

Thanks for any opinions / advice.

Clint

1941 Chief
    1947 Harley UL (Black), good runner
    1961 Harley FLH (red), needs another paint job, ex California CHP
    1959 Harley FLH, basket
    1984 Harley XR-1000, near original, was one of a handful of exhibition bikes
    1990 Harley FLH with turbo
    1985 Harley FXRP, basket
    1994 Harley FXRP with turbo
    1969 Honda CB750 grafted to a servicar rear end
    194x Harley Servicars (2), baskets
    3 custom made sportsters, all EVOs, various years

I hate paint, Clint!

Especially when fuel eats it.

Most isocyanate urethanes aren't amateur-friendly.

...Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Im only a backyard painter but I like single stage ppg concept.Its not cheap,I like the look but the one thing
      i hate about it is the short self life of the catalyst.I also like their dtm epoxy primer over the bare metal.You need a fresh air supply even outdoors.
      Sometimes I think a Spray can enamal would also look good.I did my 34 with dulux enamel but thats no more.
      Also there are different kinds of lacquer and the term seems to used loosely.
      Tom

Comment

It ain't just about looking good, Tom!

Rattlecans have always been my preference,..

Because fuels eat expensive paint jobs just as quick.

....Cotten
        PS: I hate paint.

PPS: I had my '49 HD painted 'burgundy'.
        Its a perfect 'Indian Red'.
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-11-2019, 05:38 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hi 41Chief, I used rattle can enamel covered with a mix in the can 2k epoxy matte clear on my more repop than original rider project. It has held up really good on the tanks where it gets fuel on it. For less than $100.00 I can do it again or go another route if I have to.

Comment

Nice bike!!.

What brand of paint did you use and how many cans of it?

Comment

Hi 41Chief, the enamel was NAPAs brand and Eastwoods 2k Aerospray matte clear and 2k epoxy primer. I am not a good painter and had a few do overs. All in I think I used four cans of enamel and three cans of clear and two cans of primer. Next time I won't paint color all the way up the tank necks, then paint the clear up higher on the neck to seal the color coat.
              Last edited by FNG1; 12-11-2019, 09:54 PM. Reason: added primer

Comment

This was my 1940 Chief which I painted myself, using PPG, DAR 51049 SC Red. I got the paint number from George Yarocki. It is a single stage acrylic enamel and was easy to apply. I've painted a lot of bikes and I have learned many valuable lessons the hard way. Surface preparation is THE most important part of the job, as well as keeping everything clean. As for paint, you get what you pay for.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Very nice Exeric. My lazy ass, no gloss, rat job will never compare with a nice original looking paint job. I wanted to put together an inexpensive rider and do it myself. I couldn't paint lawn furniture, let alone a motorcycle. So far no one has said anything terrible about it and if they do I'll just ask where theirs is. Very nice Indian.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with trying to save a buck. For what it's worth, a gallon of quality NASON black enamel is surprisingly affordable, and I've painted lot's of parts and still have a lot left over. Of course, you have to buy a compressor, guns, and expendables, but if you're in this hobby for life, you'll save money over the years. I like having control over as much as I can in this hobby because many of the trades that used to be common, and staffed with genuine crafts-people are going away. It's also satisfying to do things yourself, and at your own pace.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                    X