No announcement yet.

Selling price of Indian Four cylinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling price of Indian Four cylinders?

A friend has come into a stash of Indian Four parts (as well as parts for other Indians), including 8 cylinders and two Splitdorf magnetos, that he wants to sell. However, he couldn't find any information anywhere on the price to ask for the cylinders. What is the current going price of cylinders?

Note: I also posted this in the Indian Four forum, but I'm posting it here as well because that forum doesn't get much activity.

IndianFour_cylinders.jpg
    Splitdorf.jpg

List them on eBay. One at a time @ $249.00. See how high the go. Just remember that most indian owners carry pockets filled with birdseed. That way a flock will follow them saying " cheap cheap cheap"
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
      @ $249.00.
      Thanks for that. Is it a price you've seen them sold for before, or an educated guess?

Comment

The head looks like 1932 and earlier.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          The head looks like 1932 and earlier.
          Thanks for that. I'll let my friend know.

Comment

Just a suggestion. If they have more value people will bid them higher.
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Can you show different pictures of the cylinders. It would be nice to know what years they fit. Stan

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
                Can you show different pictures of the cylinders.
                I sent my friend an email asking if he has more photos. If he doesn't already have them on his phone it might not be until after Christmas before he's back in his shop to take them.

Comment

He had these two on his camera. Do they tell you what you need to know? If not, he will be happy to take more on Thursday.

IndianFour_cylinders02.jpgIndianFour_cylinders03.jpg

Comment

Up till 1931 the center to center distance of the flange holes was 1 7/8 inches. For 1932 it was increased to 2 inches. The port size was increased slightly also. 1933 used studs instead of bolts to hold the exhaust manifold on so the cylinder was completely different in the flange area. Without the hole spacing on the flange it is hard to tell if the cylinders are 1932 or 1931 and earlier.
                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
                      Up till 1931 the center to center distance of the flange holes was 1 7/8 inches.
                      Thanks very much for that information. It's the sort of "insider information" only someone experienced with Indian Fours would know. I've forwarded your post to my friend and asked him to take a ruler with him the next time he goes to the shop.

Comment

If you use ebay good pictures will probably assure the highest price.Motor parts are obviously worth more if they are in usable condition.Take good close ups of any defects,cracks,and repairs.Close ups of the machined surfaces and cylinder bores,preferably measured or with a digital vernier across the bore with reading shown.Ruler on flange distance like Tom W mentioned.List each cylinder separately.
                        I woudnt worry to much about idenifying the exact years as the bidders will know,but it would be better to know what your selling.
                        Ps.I liked your tools for trip thread.
                        Tom

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
                          If you use ebay..
                          Ps.I liked your tools for trip thread.
                          Thanks very much for your comment. My friend is an experienced eBay seller who always likes to post as much information as possible so potential bidders know what they are bidding on.

He's made the measurement -- the hole spacing on the exhaust flanges is 1-7/8".

Comment

Update: 5 of the cylinders are 1-7/8" and 3 are 2".

Comment

Working...
                            X