Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mecum Auction in Las Vegas coming up soon .............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mecum Auction in Las Vegas coming up soon .............

One of the best reasons to go to Vegas is the Mecum Motorcycle auction, January 21-26 this year. I sold one bike last year and selling two this year. Anybody going sound off. I usually stay right there at the South Point, real good place and very fair rate.
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

My pal Steve White from Vintage M/C Northwest in Seattle is taking some of Johnny Bergin's bike collection to the Mecum auction. Johnny's widow recently died in her nineties and the relatives want the money. There should be some good stuff in there.

Comment

Good to know, I look forward to seeing Steve again. Last saw him at AMCA Dixon meet.

Comment

what does it cost to sell a bike at their auction?
        i just finished a 1937 UL to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
          what does it cost to sell a bike at their auction?
          i just finished a 1937 UL to sell.
          I believe the commissions are 6% with no reserve and 10% with reserve plus there are the listing fees which depend on the day the bike is put across the block; they vary from $125 to $650, if you want a prime time slot.

That's just the sellers fees, they (Mecum) earn 10 - 12% on the buyer as well depending on the form of payment or whether the bidder is there in person, bidding on the phone or over the internet.
          Last edited by Green Indian; 12-13-2019, 03:18 PM.
          AMCA # 3233

Comment

That is pretty accurate Green. I think my listing fee for Thursday is about $450 each bike and listed as a star which means it will be selling in the middle of the day and in the catalog. Less listing fee and not in catalog & it will go early in the day or very late. Looking to buy one or two bikes maybe on Saturday and Friday. At least I will likely know how much money I can spend!

Comment

Attention K-Mart shoppers.
              While at the auction, please, stop by the AMCA booth. Say hello to, John Markley, AMCA National Secretary. John can help you with any AMCA needs and will be passing out AMCA goodies.
              Have fun, Fred.
              Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

What happens if you buy a vehicle and it turns out to be something cobbled together . I watch some auto restoration shows and they are hurrying to get the car out the door to meet the auction time. Then the last day they are driving to the auction. Is the auction house any way responsible to the condition of what they are selling? I am sure there is an inspection area to view the vehicles. If I'm spending thousands, I would at least like to do a test drive. Stan

Comment

I know nothing about the big Las Vegas auctions, but I have been familiar with a some of the bikes that brought (unjustified) big $$$. In my opinion (for what that's worth) the L.V. auctions have developed a life of their own and don't necessarily reflect real value. There seem to be some bargains here and there, but I have to wonder if some of the big dollar bikes are pumped up, and over hyped by the plethora of "motorcycle experts", drunks, and doped up loud mouthed attendees. I don't think it's just the big wallet bidders that over value these bikes; I think the peripheral wannabes talk up many of these bikes and help to create an unrealistic market. I'm curious to hear what actual attendees of the L.V. auctions think, and what their experiences are.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Anytime you go to an auction you need to know your $hit or you could have a problem later. I have been to every Vegas motorcycle auction and before Mecum when it was Mid America. I will tell you that nearly all are just what they look to be upon inspection. You have at least 60 days if not more to view on line, and depending upon when you arrive a couple days to see in person. Many times I bring various books to refer back to later in my room before the day of auction. I also have called a few friends who have direct knowledge and while looking at the cycle even send photo of issue. I usually sell but do buy some.

I have reviewed past year sales of many motorcycles and can tell you that many are now selling higher than previous sold for. Just to give a couple tips, I always look in the gas tank, kick over to see if compression, and view underneath. I also carry a flash light or use my phone light. I even have a paint thickness gauge with me when looking at original paint bikes!
                    Last edited by KNUCK; 01-08-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Very good advice, and experienced suggestions, KNUCK. Thanks for your insider tips.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Exeric, your first words are most telling. Yes some bikes are a little hyped up but usually just the Hollywood type bikes or such. I will say that some of the more over priced bikes, in my opinion, are the Crocker and Knuckle. But really, drunks and doped loud mouth attendees,just are not there. I see more of that at swap meets every time I go it seems.

Comment

Working...
                        X