Chief intake manifold nipple again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief intake manifold nipple again

I have decided the rear nipple has to be replaced. I removed the manifold and discovered the mating surface is beyond repair. I am sure this was my hot hard starting issues. I guess I should punch out the retaining stud first, before I attempt to cut through the nipple and crush it. Think it's possible to do this with the cylinder still on the motor? Stan

Stan!

Have you considered dressing the face of the nipple first?

File any burrs, and then stone the face in a draw-file motion.

Replacement of a Chief nipple would be a very last resort...

...Cotten
    PS: Spare the punch! Drill it out if you must, because you will need to ream it for a precise fit of a new custom-fit rivet anyway.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-09-2019, 03:09 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I built this chief from pieces. I believe the cylinder in question must have sat out in the rain in it's previous life. It has some serious rust damage. I saw this 30 or so years ago, but didn't pay much attention to it. This has never been a good starter hot. This is probably the reason. The chief has sat for a number of years because of the starting issue. Stan

Comment

Does anyone know of someone making a manifold nipple installation tool. I find ones for Harleys, but not Indians. Looks like a good place for a tool one time tool rental. I am going to get a new manifold, and brass rings, which have worked for years. The more I look at the nipple the worse it is. I can't believe I didn't do something about it years ago. If the surgery is successful I should have a chief I can actually start hot. Stan

Comment

Sure don't, Stan!

You are going to have to make your own expanding collet.

....Cotten
          PS: You would do best to shop for a cast iron or steel manifold if you choose brass seals.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

i have used an old manifold nut and installed a brass insert to seat against nut and nipple face, once tight a light rap removes makeshift tool. i have more than 7 yrs and 50k miles on a U model, an annual leak test has never shown this joint to leak, cylinder to nipple. now manifold nipples to intake manifold is another story. JB weld was what i used for sealing and retention. another item was using a set screw instead of a rivet, i indexed set screw position on nipple and made a relief area, i have been so perplexed by aftermarket nipple quality and wear of old oem parts that i have on my latest build had a machinist custom make my nipples, thread pitch can be matched to old part and sealing surfaces at nipple to cylinder, a very critical area to seal can be made to seat properly.

Comment

Search internal pipe nipple wrench.There are different kinds.Cam lock,expanding etc.Plumbing supply house or the net.
              Tom

Comment

Working...
              X