AMF Harley 80 inch conversion kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMF Harley 80 inch conversion kit

Looking for the " instructions " that came with a kit that Harley offered around 1979 to convert 74 " to 80" . It was a complete kit with flywheels & con rod , all assembled . Plus , jugs & pistons
    I've got a bike that was done with that kit ( 71 FLH ) .
    I need to know what the instructions said about the early side oiler pinion bushings ( 70 to 73 , I think )
    Because the kit came with an end oiler pinion shaft ( I know , I did replace the pinion bushing to an end oiler ).
    There is a hole that is in the pocket where the oil is forced into the pinion shaft ( thus reducing pressure to the pinion shaft ) that I'm puzzled about ( I think it is affecting my oil pressure ) .
    I want to know if the hole is supposed to be there or was it an alteration for the kit .
    Thanks, Mike

Mike,
    I have just gone through this with a 73 FLH.
    It had a end oiler pinion but still had the side oiler cam cover. The oil passages are different in the cam cover. This would lose oil pressure after the motor warmed up.

S&S put out a very comprehensive pamphlet about what modifications can be undertaken to match up the oil pump to the cases and cam cover.
    https://www.sscycle.com/docs/default...t.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Comment

Thank you aumick10 ,
      I was hoping to run the stock oil pump . The prior owner ( no longer with us ) rode the bike for years with a side oiler bushing & end oiler shaft . That is why I would like to read the instructions .

Comment

A roller bearing bottom end doesn't need a lot of oil.
        The modifications are to ensure the lifters and top end get oil pressure when the motor is in the lower rev range.

Comment

Working...
        X