Tappets clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappets clicking

Working on a 1971 FLH . I honed the lifter blocks to .001 clearance and installed some oversized S&S tappets # 330-0381 . I adjusted the push rods per the manual , four full turns after lash is taken up . After about 20 miles I get some ticking not always the same tappet , it is intermittent .
    I changed from 20-50 oil to 60 . That helped a little , but still clicking .
    I called S&S , talked to Chris , he said to use 3 1/2 turns to " let more oil in " . That had no effect .
    I called S&S again , talked to Tom , He said " to bottom the hydraulic unit out ( by extending the push rod all the way ) and come up half a turn like the manual says " . My manual has no mention of this method .
    Will Tom's adjustment work ?
    Any help would be appreciated . Thanks , Mike
    Attached Files

Back in the day, we were told to sell only H-D 75W for use in Shovels with hydraulic lifters, not 105W. I remember the four turns method being used all the time.
    VPH-D

Comment

extreme heavy [105 weight] was on earlier oil cans & service manuals....the same oil is shown in 1978 service manual as 60 w..Harley never sold 75 or 105 w.That is a change in the standards not the oil.Remove & clean the lifters out completely with carb cleaner & compressed air,make sure they rattle when shaken,install & bottom them out to the point they become tight..spring bound.Back off 1-1/2 turns.Make sure they spin freely before goig to the next one.20/50 was used in shovels & recomended for Pans after it came out.

Comment

For a good viewpoint on the different adjustment procedures: Google "Shovelhead hydraulics-Knuclehead theology.

Comment

When the 20w50 oil came out, we were told it was the new wonder oil, suitable for use in everything. After negative feedback from Pan people, we recommended it only for Shovels with hyd. lifters. 75 or 105 was
          marked on the oil cans, the actual weight was 40w and 60 weight.
          VPH-D

Comment

Update

An update on my tappet noise I replaced the 26207-73a spring in the oil pump with a 26207-83 and the tappets pumped up nice with no noise . I am just concerned that maybe the lower end might not be getting enough oil . Any thoughts ??
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X