Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moto Lamp lens and gasket.

I could use some advice please.
    Recently acquired a Moto Lamp Headlight. I removed bezel but when I went to remove the lens it seems to be glued or stuck to the headlight shell. I suspect the gasket has fused to lens and shell over time or perhaps a previous set of hands used some sort of adhesive. Ideas? Suggestions?? Thanks much and Happy Holidays.

Dear Paul, nice find! The Motolamp lens is held to the bezel by three clips on the glass. If these were missing, perhaps a previous owner glued the lens to the reflector. Originally there was a cork(?) gasket in that channel around the reflector, but I used neoprene tubing when I was making repro lamps. Or maybe the old gasket has perished or fused to the glass as you suggest. All those parts are now hard to find and expensive, so I'd use traditional methods and take your time. Soak in penetrating oil, maybe solvent, razor blade or model knife etc, whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Comment

That depends on the type of Motolamp. 1939up Motolamps did not have a glas that was held to the bezel my 3 clips. On these the glas sometimes sticks to the gasket that sits between the glas and the reflector. I would asume if you gently warm up the headlight the glas might come off witht he help of a cutter knife or something similar. I have neoprene gaskets for the late type Motolamps that I bought from Rocky Halter which already used on a couple of Motolamps. Seem to work fine.

Comment

Update:

Exacto knife; Goof-off adhesive remover & time and patience yielded good results. Seems a previous owner had built his-self a 'sealed beam" using black adhesive glue on lens and reflector. Likely proper parts were not available and did an 'expedient' fix (Which really was well done). I will purchase the proper gasket. There is a date on the back of the reflector: "Oct 22 1942". I have a 1946 Chief and currently am running a Cycle-Ray after market headlight works well but as I had the means and opportunity thought I'd give Chief a proper Indian headlight. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
        X