Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33VL muffler tail piece

Is anyone reproducing the 33 muffler?
    Ok, I might settle for good pictures of tail piece and descriptions of what the back side and end looked like, because I might just try and bang one out my self...
    And if I go to that much effort, I sure would like it to be as faithful as possible.
    Steve C
    Last edited by 3_7/16bore; 12-01-2019, 08:33 PM.

Tom Feeser of Replicant Metals had this on his ‘To Do’ list. I gave him an original, somewhat, bent up one a couple of years ago.

Comment

Try Harbor Vintage. I know over the years I have seen them list the later complete tail piece that is welded on to the muffler tube. You never know what he might have laying around, OEM used, NOS or older repop??? It's worth the phone call as anything is possible with the inventory he has. Call Rat, Don't contact them through ebay as from what I have heard they usually will not respond. Personally I have had a few of the NOS Original 36 and later rear section tail piece that I found NOS years ago. And they were cheap back then at usually less than 50 bucks. Good luck, 46el

Comment

I made a couple of batches of the 1932/3 VL muffler, mostly because I was restoring a few 1933 bikes. The tricky bit is the perforated fishtail, which my sheet metal guy used to make until he died. We need this part, so roust out Tom at Replicant and try the Gas Box in Cleveland OH as well. The one year chubby 1931 VL muffler also uses the same fishtail, and I sold the tooling for the body to the US a few months ago, so something should be happening fairly soon.

Comment

The last time I talked to Tom at Replicant he had decided to drop the plans for the 32/33 muffler due to cost. I have been emailing GasBox for over a year after they announced one and they still don't have it.
          RATS!!
          Bob Selph
          1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
          1940 Sport Scout
          AMCA#15215

Comment

Dear Bob, I'm stepping back from making VL parts but someone needs to pick up the ball on this. The five different VL mufflers are very distinctive and you can see them from across the judging field. The 1931 and 1932/3 ones are the tough ones because of all the holes in the perforated fish tail. My guy used to drill them, but they would have been punched out flat on a press tool originally, then formed into shape and welded or brazed. Maybe we can laser cut them today? And who is going to make the VL front and rear axle sleeves now?

Comment

Originally posted by 3_7/16bore View Post
              Is anyone reproducing the 33 muffler?
              Ok, I might settle for good pictures of tail piece and descriptions of what the back side and end looked like, because I might just try and bang one out my self...
              And if I go to that much effort, I sure would like it to be as faithful as possible.
              Steve C
              I was also interested in perhaps fabricating one of these perforated muffler tail pieces for my 32VL. Now if someone just had the dimensions . . .

If you meet with any success Steve, please let me know.

- Marc

Comment

Working...
              X