Harley J/JD Step Starter Spring Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley J/JD Step Starter Spring Replacement

Hi Folks, i thought I would put this up as a new thread because I searched on here for something similar by a previous poster but couldn't find anything

As I mentioned on my build thread, I need to replace the step-starter return spring on my H-D 20F. I had a quick look at it today and what I initially thought might be simple small job might be a bit more work than I initially thought. On a later boxes that I am used to the starter arm comes off the shaft and the gearbox end cover then slips off over the shaft. However on this bike the shaft and starter arm are one piece.

My question is: Do I need to take the box out of the bike and disassemble it to replace the return spring? The gearbox is the only bit of this bike that I haven't had apart so before I tear into it I thought I would ask for any tips from those more experienced with these boxes.

Its not urgent, I intend to get to this properly in the coming few weeks over the Christmas period.

Pictures of the box and the worlds most expensive spring below.

John

The kickstarter is held in by a nut inside the kicker cover.

The transmission does not need to be removed to replace the spring.

To remove it, you need to first remove the clutch pull rod. Remove the adjuster nuts on the clutch pull rod at the clutch pressure plate. The complete pull rod should them pull out of the actuating mechanism on the kicker cover. Watch out for loose balls possibly.
    The kicker cover can them be removed, with the kicker and spring still installed.

Inside the kicker cover you will see a nut on the kicker shaft that holds the kicker segment to the shaft. remove the nut and segment and then the kicker and spring can be removed from the kicker cover.

It is a reasonably straightforward job.
    Good luck.

Comment

Hi aumick10, thanks very much for the quick reply. Thats great news and much less of a job than I had thought.

Thanks again.

John

Comment

Your welcome,
        As with most things, they are easy when you know how.

I spent time inventing electrochemical processes. One of the best things about inventing is that nobody can tell you that you are wrong, as nobody has done it before.
        Also, making mistakes is part of the process to find out what doesn't work.
        Cheers

Comment

thanks for the info. my spring is ok, but the kicker arm on my 17J is bent & i need to straighten it.

Comment

Working...
          X