Linkert DC-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert DC-12

I've dug out a spare DC-12 carburetor for my '64 CH and noticed that it has a brass vent on top of the float bowl. I don't r remember seeing these on any other Sportster DC linkerts nor have I found any reference to it on the K-Model forum. I do remember float bowl extensions that were available as a racing modification, but I don't remember these vents. Can anyone offer offer pertinent information?

I'd attach a photo, but the site ins't allowing it for some reason.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill,
    Is it a vent or is it where tickler might have been? Tickler as in a small lever or such with a spring used to push the float down for starting just like a British bike?
    I have a DC-1 on my 58 XL which has one.
    Rick

Comment

Blimey, you're exactly correct Rick - its a tickler! I blew through it, but didn't think to push it down! I had ticklers on my Amal Monoblock carburetors on my Triumph, but I've never seen them on a DC Linkert. I don't see them listed in any Sportster parts book, so do you think they were factory or dealer option or do you think they were adapted and installed by the riders at that time?
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
        Blimey, you're exactly correct Rick - its a tickler! I blew through it, but didn't think to push it down! I had ticklers on my Amal Monoblock carburetors on my Triumph, but I've never seen them on a DC Linkert. I don't see them listed in any Sportster parts book, so do you think they were factory or dealer option or do you think they were adapted and installed by the riders at that time?
        I've seen this before. A D.C. Retrofitted to a Tilley bike. Air cleaner was ditched and so there was no choke mechanism. Enter the tickler. The one I saw was certainly after market. Works well to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
          I've seen this before. A D.C. Retrofitted to a Tilley bike. Air cleaner was ditched and so there was no choke mechanism. Enter the tickler. The one I saw was certainly after market. Works well to boot.
          Thanks Chuck.

So, this would be considered an 'accessory' aftermarket item that was available in the 1950's and 1960's. I must admit, having worked on many D.C. Linkert Sportsters back in time, velocity stacks and extended float bowls were around, as well as the ticklers for the Tillotson diaphragm covers. But I honestly don't remember the D.C. tickler.

I was going to change out the float bowl, but given the above the tickler would be perfectly acceptable for judging. It looks like my '64 is getting close to Senior level so it shouldn't detract from its (hopefully) upcoming judged status at Oley.

This is one of the truly valuable qualities of this forum; even we older guys (as in myself) continue to learn and share.
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

No, I don't think it would be considered an accessory item. The one I saw was done because the original choke was removed and there was no practical way to start the bike. By '69 this was totally not worth it as several am carbs hit the street, including the l series s&s, which is just a scaled up D.C. In so many ways. The one I saw was clearly a generic tickler retrofitted at home by a crafty person who likely hated the tilly but was too cheap to spend roughly $200 on an am carb back in the day. To put it in perspective, that's about 550-600 clams today. Adding a tickler would serve no practical purpose on a stock bike as few D.C. Linkerts suffer from being lean ;-)

I'm not up on judging, so please don't take my comments as even half informed for that purpose.

Comment

If the tickler takes the place of a stock carb part, it would not be acceptable for judging. If simply added to the bike, it is considered an accessory, and ignored during judging.
              VPH-D

Comment

Thanks VPH. Yes, that's what I interpret for the Judging guidelines rules that I downloaded a few years ago.....
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                X