X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
    My "Last Word" is a Starrett, Bob!

....Cotten
    Terrible indicator, but a great response!

Anyway, Omar good luck with your gear.
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Why is Starrett a terrible indicator?

Comment

DSC06423mp.JPGDSC06424mp.JPG
        Larry, opinions are like (well, you know), we all have one! But you asked and here is mine. The Last Word has a small dial face, divisions are only in .001, and travel is .03 total. You either have to hold on to the stem or side mount on a rod. The needles are short. You have to flip a lever for direction. Now compare to an Interapid indicator. The face is a lot larger with .0005 or .0001 divisions, total travel is over .06. You can hold on to the stem or by a dove tail, all on center line of the needle which I find more convenient. You have a lot more needle choices, length and ball diameter. You can have a front or top dial. You do not need to flip a lever for direction, you have .06 in both directions, .120 total. I just find them more work friendly, a lot of people for a very long time have used a Last Word and are accustomed to their performance. But I do have to say, I started in this trade in 1982, and except for a few older guys right around that time period, I have never seen one used in a modern shop for the last 30+ years. Just my opinion, use what works best for you.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

No, it is not a "Buck" chuck. Those are nice to have, however. And I still do use a last word. Mine does have .0005" divisions on it, and I use a goose-neck magnetic holder which allows me to travel the indicator point in and out of the bore. If I can get the pointer to stay within 2 of the divisions, I say good enough. I was taught that the run-out should be half the size tolerance, or better.

Comment

Working...
          X