Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended cylinder/exhaust paint for 48 Panhead

Hi Guys

Silver and black - is there a specific Harley paint that was used, and where can you get it, or a substitute that is acceptable by AMCA judges?

Thanks

Greg

Greg, after years of repainting my exhaust systems, I finally caved and went with ceramic coating. It's the closest I've seen to factory finish and it wears like iron. My powder coater does it, and to my surprise, it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be. The only problem with the silver coating is that it stains when oil gets on it when it's hot, but I endure that as opposed to removing and repainting every season. And believe me, I used to take great pains cleaning and thin spraying multiple coats of high heat paint, only to have it blister off in the first 100 miles of operation.[/ATTACH]20191128_072425.jpg20191128_072501.jpg 20191128_072410.jpg
    Last edited by Omarttentmaker; 11-28-2019, 06:39 AM.

Comment

On my Chiefs I have been using VHP high heat manifold paint... flat black. I have tried ceramic coating in silver and flat black, and I did not like the results... I didn't think it held up very well after about two years. I went back to paint, but it took several brands until settled on the VHP brand. After 4 yrs on my bobber pipes, the VHP has worked out well. I got away from the silver color because of the stains and inconsistent appearance. My restored bikes are finished with the VHP paint, and I used the bobber example because I ride it a whole lot more than the others.
      I don't thin the application, but I do apply at least 3 coats of paint. Air dry for 2-3 days, then bake in the oven as directed. Twice. Then, mount the headers and mufflers carefully, I put paper sleeves on the pipes when I slide on the clamps, so as not to scratch the finish.
      I've used the VHP on the cylinders too. Follow the same procedure. Bake them twice, allowing them to cool completely between baking cycles. I'm pretty happy with the results.
      Good Luck, C2K

Comment

I bought a can of heat resistant silver from H-D a little over a year ago. The p/n is 98660-78, it had to be ordered, and cost about $24.00. This color is correct for Panhead,
        most Shovelhead, and early Sportster barrels.
        VPH-D

Comment

I agree with VPD. I've used the Harley Heat resistant spray-can paints since 1970 with great results. They changed it in some way in '78 but I never experienced any difference other than the design of the spray can.
          In fact, the only two reasons for me to visit a Harley dealership these days is for the motor paint and panhead/knucklehead batteries.
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

I use H-D paint for any motor silver or black paint needed.
            #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Thanks - that is very good advice, love the bit about putting paper on the pipes to preserve the finish whilst clamping

Greg

Comment

For paint cylinders I use "VHT high temerature" up to 550 °F paint. Available in grey or black, depends on you model year. Search for VHT Products Company
                Cleveland OH 44115. The cylinders must be clean, I blast they with very fine glas Pearls and low pressure. And after coating you should the paint burn in one
                hour - see the instruction!
                The exhaust parts I coat with "ceramic". To hot for paint. Mufflers you can paint , but not the exhaust! George

Comment

Hi Schorsch - I've used the same, Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X