Epoxy paint Hardnener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoxy paint Hardnener

I am probably not the only one who has can or two of paint waiting for the next project. What I found is the paint holds up fairly well, but the little can of hardener goes bad real quick. Any tips to make it last longer? I keep the paint and hardener in a styrofoam container already, but it doesn't do much good for the hardener. Any thoughts? Stan

buy your hardener in smaller sizes. I tried to split it up into smaller jars. I did not last. i had one unopened can that did not last. That makes me thin it has a short shelf life. I have only tried this with akzo products
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I only use epoxy primer paint, which hasn't been a storage problem. For top coat paint I use single stage acrylic enamel and use "Transtar" wet look hardener. They redesigned their container a while back and use a proprietary cap that seals well, and doesn't glue itself to the container. I've had this can of hardener for well over a year and it is still "wet". I get all my paint supplies from Finishmasters. . . . I am not a paid spokesperson for Finishmasters

I notice you're from California, Stan. I know your state has very strict laws regarding paint so perhaps the products I can use in Florida are not available in Ca.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Maybe this might apply. A friend of mine, FL state water guy, told me to turn my pvc glue cans upside down to make them last longer. Standing them on their lids seems to keep the liquid inside sealing the only inlet, the lid or cap. I have had great results keeping the glue longer, maybe this might work for hardener, if not maybe everyone reading will have longer lasting glue now! Good luck.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Oxygen is the culprit. If you can replace the air right before you put the cap on, it will last longer.
          AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
            Oxygen is the culprit. If you can replace the air right before you put the cap on, it will last longer.
            I tried that once, Len. Passed out, and woke up in Miami
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              I tried that once, Len. Passed out, and woke up in Miami
              With or without your pants???
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
              X