Initial adjustmet of 1931 VL oil pump for over oiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial adjustmet of 1931 VL oil pump for over oiling

My recently running 1931 VL is over oiling. Do I make the initial adjustment at the oil pump by removing a shim from the 672-29 screw at back of pump or at adjusting plate where control cable mounts to side of pump. Or Does the amount of shims on the screw only effect high speed volume of oil and the adjustment plate only effect volume upto 2/3 throttle. Thanks!

The early VL oil pump does not have the thin shims used on the later pump, and that screw at the back usually has just one thick washer under the head. The hinged plate inside controls the stroke of those three little pistons inside, and the plate is hinged at the top and slopes backwards. That means a longer screw will keep the plate more towards the vertical, reducing the piston stroke and the oil flow. You will find a Harley 037 or 038 screw will fit, and you can turn down the end nearer to a point to match the original piece if you wish. All this can be done with the oil pump in place. I reckon this controls more the low speed oiling. At higher speeds you can trim the disc controlling the cam a little in the 'less' direction, say a little under 1/8" at a time. The VLs had a chain oiler and no oil rings on the pistons originally, while today we usually shut off that rear wheel oiler and have oil control rings on the pistons, so the oil pump needs dialling in below the factory settings. Some Cannonball riders disabled one piston in the oil pump buy removing the spring underneath it, then drained the cases every time they gassed up, just to be safe.

Comment

Working...
    X