Indian vertical single, or twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian vertical single, or twin

I bought a twin the early 60's for 5.00. I spent a lot of time getting it looking and running good. Other Indians came along, and it just sits now. It was never a good starter. Anyone else have one? Stan

Stan:
    I love the opposed and have been trying to piece together a model k (single) for years now,
    Dan

Comment

A perfect example of not enough info in the original post. Only a few decades separate them....
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I was referring to the 49 to 53 models. To my knowledge Indian didn't make a vertical twin engine, until the 49 53 years. Stan

Comment

Indian's Roger's era vertical models were always considered the red headed step child of Indian but I think that has changed. Just speaking for myself, I think they were beautiful motorcycles that had the stress of competing with proven post war British bikes, but also the legacy of decades of gorgeous Indian V-twins. That whole vertical Indian program was well conceived, but horribly, and terminally executed by people that had good intentions, and visions that tragically failed. I think bike people today can make the Indian verticals into good reliable bikes that will prove the concept and exonerate Roger's vision. Having said all that, Indian should have made the Chief into an OHV, 4 speed using affordable engineering, and available resources. . . But, Packard could have also done that and survived. That's history as seen by people today.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Agreed.Conglomerates like AMF were just around the corner and things would of played out differently for Indian.

Comment

Working...
            X