Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are S&S Shovel Heads good to replace the stock heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are S&S Shovel Heads good to replace the stock heads?

Are S&S Shovel Heads good to replace the stock heads? My 1984 FLH stock (modified for dual plug) heads need weld repair on the rear exhaust guide area. Can't install a new oversize guide there, it is too messed up. Also some other repairs are required. I have the heads at a good shop now. And I would like to keep the originality, but the S&S Super Stock shovel heads would not cost that much more. But I am unsure how well they fit and other unknowns.

I have not put them on a shovel, but I have on plenty of evo's.
    I have always found S&S products to be top quality.

Comment

I installed brand new S&S heads on my 1980 semi custom shovel about 11 years ago. They have been trouble free from the git-go!

20170408_180504.jpg

Comment

Only issue would be in the future if you ever entered your bike for judging, the heads would cause a points hit. For a rider go with the best cost/performance option that suits you.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I had a set on my 68 about 10 years ago, quite stock in all regards. After some long distance rides I started having trouble keeping the head bolts tight, particularly the two that straddle the exhaust port. After several retorquing's over time, the bolts remained tight. Then the rear head gasket blew out near the exhaust port. The S&S heads do not have the cast in steel crown that the stock Harley heads use for the threaded bolt holes. Rather they use what is essentially a Heli-Coil. Mine pulled through the aluminum and would no longer allow the heads to be clamped properly. S&S told me they had never heard of this but I found literally dozens of people by searching the web who had also seen this happen. Bad heat treating or bad design? I can't say if they have fixed this issue.

Comment

Working...
          X